99LX470 +91fj80 =headache or BadAss? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a chance to pick up a 99 LX470 that has been rolled. I have a 91 Fj80 that need a new motor? Is it a simple swap to put the LX's motor, trans, running gear into to my Fj or am I barking up the wrong tree?

About as far from simple as you can get but it could be done, as long as you have a complete donor vehicle to keep going back to in order to pluck stuff off of it as you find you need it. You may be better off with a Tundra as a donor. The LC/470 ECU's incorporate engine immobilizers that add to the swap headache.

The donor

It's a complete car, everything is there. Just a real nast roll over. You think I would be better off with a Tundra. Will the engine mounts line up? I have a 3FE right now. Is there a swap kit? I know of a 350 Kit but what about newer Yota engine?

Dino,
FWIW, I would be wary of putting in a block with 120k on it into your truck, at the very least I would go through the motor prior to doing the swap. As Dan so aptly pointed out, it can be done but it will be a royal pain in the ass.
Dave

Awwww guys, c'mon, you are gnna scare him off this swap! If you have the time and the skill, this is a very "doable" swap. No swap is "easy", but I would guess the basic drivetrain chunk would come close to dropping right into the 80 chassis... not to say the mounts will bolt up, but everything else is in the right spot. Having the whole truck is ideal, plus you can sell tons of non required parts off it to recoup some costs.

Have a look at www.lextreme.com for tons of Toyota V8 engine info, including swaps.

DO IT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom