98 Wheel Bearing Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Snap ring is non reusable. I have reused but they must pass rigorous inspection, which most don't. It's also import to check/set snap ring gap. In most case I need to go up ones size to the "D" which is 2.4mm thick, to get a gap of less than 0.20mm.

A good snap ring, properly fitted and axle with good retain grove would not likely pop off from bashing cap. One would really have to bash hard with BFH.

Solved, finally got everything back together after repacking both front wheel bearings and spindle bearings. Replacing the brake pump and bleeding the brakes. Replaced snap rings on both sides. No more noise. Interesting though I did have to size one down for the snap rings after packing the spindle bearings. The snap ring was very tight and had great difficulty getting the size down snap ring on. No way I would have been able to go with the original sized ring. Also did the dust cover with gasket on both sides.

Solved, finally got everything back together after repacking both front wheel bearings and spindle bearings. Replacing the brake pump and bleeding the brakes. Replaced snap rings on both sides. No more noise. Interesting though I did have to size one down for the snap rings after packing the spindle bearings. The snap ring was very tight and had great difficulty getting the size down snap ring on. No way I would have been able to go with the original sized ring. Also did the dust cover with gasket on both sides.
Unless you replaced many parts in wheel bearing job, your gap did not increase.:eek:

This happens because front drive shaft axle is not seated in knuckle. Most often this is when grease is between axle and brass bushing in back side of steering Knuckle.

I either compress grease by pulling on axle, or drive a few miles to settle grease and then recheck snap ring gap.

After greasing brass bushing and needle bearing I pull out axle with clamp setup then set snap ring gap at hub flange.
01 LC wheel hub flange 002.JPG

Whether checking before or after driving, I keep weight on tire or jack under LCA, so front drive shift is in neutral position. After driving if I need to check gap, I just pull on axle by threading in a 8 x 1.25mm (IIRC) bolt and then check gap.
01 LX470 214K 345.JPG

Here the brass bushing before greasing. This brass bushing is a little scored due to both seals missing (for 20K miles) after a shop installed aftermarket FDS.
PS Knuckle & wheel bearings assemble 005.JPG

After greasing brass bushing and needle bearing in back of steering knuckle, while on my bench
DS Axle hub, wheel bearing and knuckle Final cleaning 249.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom