98 sr5 suspension upgrades (advice and sources) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Creating a list of things to do and an order to do them in. The very next thing ill do is lower ball joints (thanks for all the suggestions). On that note, I can find them (OEM parts) no problem I was just wondering if there is a good source for parts I might need to know about. I found my way to mcgeorgetoyota.com perhaps all sources are all the same or perhaps one is better. Let me know.

The next big purchase would be springs and shocks. I know this seams to be a subject that's beat to death but here we go again. I'm reading posts and i see numbers being mentioned ( 906, 891, 861,890 ). I'm trying to figure out what the numbers represent. Is it a load ratings, does it identify the amount of lift, or is it just a number the manufacturer use? I see people installing mixtures of Tundra parts or Land Cruiser parts and just trying to wrap my head around all of it. I'm sure a lot of what I'm reading it based on lifted applications and probably shouldn't concern me. But I'm learning. I'm currently running a stock height and don't necessarily have plans to lift it. However, if there is something I could buy that would give me the flexibility to lift in the future would be great.
If anyone has a basic explanation would be great or a good source I haven't come across yet.
I have KYB gas adjust under there now. I'm reading in many forums that KYB and Bilstein are solid options for stock ride height replacements. I'm new to the forum and was doing some poking around at vendors section and came across ironman 4x4 and their foam cell shocks. Looks like they may have a stock height replacement. I've also been flirting with the Eibach website. I'm never looking for the cheapest option nor the most expensive, usually just the best I can afford. If you have a brand of shock or spring that I should look at please let me know ill be more than happy to look into it.
I do a lot of driving so highway drivability plays the biggest role right now. I like a responsive feel. I drive on Cooper AT3's. I don't plan to tow however it might be a common thing to haul stuff in the back. I can see some more camping and off road driving in my future, or at least I hope. Thank in advance for the help.

Creating a list of things to do and an order to do them in. The very next thing ill do is lower ball joints (thanks for all the suggestions). On that note, I can find them (OEM parts) no problem I was just wondering if there is a good source for parts I might need to know about. I found my way to mcgeorgetoyota.com perhaps all sources are all the same or perhaps one is better. Let me know.

The next big purchase would be springs and shocks. I know this seams to be a subject that's beat to death but here we go again. I'm reading posts and i see numbers being mentioned ( 906, 891, 861,890 ). I'm trying to figure out what the numbers represent. Is it a load ratings, does it identify the amount of lift, or is it just a number the manufacturer use? I see people installing mixtures of Tundra parts or Land Cruiser parts and just trying to wrap my head around all of it. I'm sure a lot of what I'm reading it based on lifted applications and probably shouldn't concern me. But I'm learning. I'm currently running a stock height and don't necessarily have plans to lift it. However, if there is something I could buy that would give me the flexibility to lift in the future would be great.
If anyone has a basic explanation would be great or a good source I haven't come across yet.
I have KYB gas adjust under there now. I'm reading in many forums that KYB and Bilstein are solid options for stock ride height replacements. I'm new to the forum and was doing some poking around at vendors section and came across ironman 4x4 and their foam cell shocks. Looks like they may have a stock height replacement. I've also been flirting with the Eibach website. I'm never looking for the cheapest option nor the most expensive, usually just the best I can afford. If you have a brand of shock or spring that I should look at please let me know ill be more than happy to look into it.
I do a lot of driving so highway drivability plays the biggest role right now. I like a responsive feel. I drive on Cooper AT3's. I don't plan to tow however it might be a common thing to haul stuff in the back. I can see some more camping and off road driving in my future, or at least I hope. Thank in advance for the help.
Well I need to learn somehow. I decided (at least until I stall) on Eibach OE replacement shocks from and rear. If it comes to lifting I’ll deal with that down the road. Eibach’d OE are affordable. Didn’t find any reviews on the OE replacements but hey I’ll review them. With shocks chosen I’m still trying to figure out springs.

740E5184-FA54-4EF5-8865-3CC1671E25F4.jpeg

52C7BD52-C628-45D2-9B0C-F7C7277C24DA.jpeg

If you plan on lifting it down the road, it may be worth it just to hold off and save up some more coin to just get a nice suspension lift. No need in buying new parts now if you only plan on running them for a short while - that's my .02!

If your shocks aren't leaking and the truck isn't swaying all over the road I'd leave it be for the time being.

I'll throw in my two cent's worth... ALWAYS measure the socks to make sure that they will accommodate all the wheel travel possible, especially on the rear. If the shock manufacturer doesn't publish that info, I would not buy it. I'll give you an example. Bilstein has the decency to publish that information, and it's a good thing they do because it reveals that their shocks, even the ones specifically for a lifted rig, are too short for my 5th gen. The shocks would top out about two inches shy of full extension of the axle. Not good. For some reason the front shocks on IFS vehicles don't seem to be as problematic as the rears when it comes to extended lengths.

All the three digit spring codes are old man emu lift springs for either the front or rear, as far as I know they have nothing to do with the spring rates or weight they are meant for.

Front:

• OME 880: Stock front weight.1.5 inch lift.
  • OME 881: Stock front weight. 2-2.5 inch lift.
  • OME 883: 200 + lbs additional front weight (heavy bumper and winch) 2.5- 3 inch Lift

Rear:
  • 906 - Approximately 2" Lift - Medium Load - Stock Weight
  • 890 - Approximately 2-2.5" Lift - Heavy Load (330 lbs -GVW)
  • 891 - Approximately 2-2.5" Lift - Heavy Load (Constant 660 Lbs -GVW)
  • 861 - land cruiser front springs used for extremely heavy setups
Personally I think it’s best to keep the lift to a minimum, you should clear a 265/75r16 on a stock height 4runner just fine. If you might add a lift in the future one option to consider would be getting the adjustable bilstien 5100 fronts and using your stock front springs with them, on the bottom clip of adjustment and with stock springs you should be pretty close to stock height.

The first gen tundra front 5100s or 6112s are used for stiffer valving since the tundra is heavier

The land cruiser 80 front springs combined with stock 80 rear shocks are used for rear heavy 4runners, not recommend unless you have a fully loaded drawer system and/or a heavy rear bumper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom