98 Land Cruiser running 33" Trying to increase Fuel econ. (New User) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 98 Land Cruiser and have put 33 inch tires on it. I seem to average about 12-14 miles per gallon maximum.

Has anyone found any good products, better air filters or anything that increased the economy? what about adding a spoiler under the front bumper?

Many other 4x4 have started doing that and it actually helps. You 'll see Jeep has that under all their new trucks.

Just curious. It seems experts say it does help mileage and some experts say it hurts mileage?

why would you put 33's on and then put a front spoiler under the front bumper....it just doesnt make sense.

you can get better fuel economy by putting your OEM tires back on.

Need to add a 6% correction to the Speedo and Odo. That means going 72mph indicated on the speedo on the interstate. If you can drive 55 you will get great mileage.

What 33s do you have ?

The 33s could give you better mileage at interstate speeds. But are basically a penalty since they are heavier and reduce gearing in stop and go.

would skinnier tires help due to less friction and a few less lbs? which brands are the skinnier 33" tires for MT and aggressive ATs? for my 100 i was thinking stock size but more aggressive until i'm ready for 35s

Recently installed Cooper S/T 255 85/16 (33 x 10.5 /tall & skinny). Mileage was not the only reason why I chose these, but I did think the mileage would be a bonus. Not the case...12-13 city 15-17 freeway. Down from 14-15 city and 17-19 freeway with stock.

The Cooper S/T is the most aggressive AT out there. It is one of few that come in this size. Others include BFG MT KM2, some say quiet, some say loud??? A Toyo Open Country is also available in this size, but seems overpriced. There is a Dunlop in this size that looks very road oriented, might yield better mpg.

I like my tires, and I think I'll like them even more once I pair them with a pair of spacers to get the tires out to the edge of the wheel well.

I agree with others in this case use 5th grade physics,smaller tires to keep the cruiser lower to the ground,use all skid plates to reduce drag under the cruiser,limit luggage racks and add ons,no lifts ,reduce weight,keep cruiser clean and waxed,tires fully inflated, keep cruiser properly tuned. This is for good not great gas milage on a cruiser weighing 5600 pounds.This however in not most peoples idea of a sports cruiser.I dont think we can have it both ways. @ cents Mike

If you want to increase mileage buy a scangauge. Then you know how much fuel you are sucking. When you see it 4mpg you are likely to let up on the gas pedal a little. It also helps you adjust your speed to get better mileage.

The best MPG was when my rig was fully stock including stock tires/size. Whatever you think you will gain by upping to larger tire diameter will be negatively off-set by the brick effect at 65+mph. The most efficient RPM for this engine seems to be below 2,200RPM; that is where my fuel efficiency is at its maximum.

Recently installed Cooper S/T 255 85/16 (33 x 10.5 /tall & skinny). Mileage was not the only reason why I chose these, but I did think the mileage would be a bonus. Not the case...12-13 city 15-17 freeway. Down from 14-15 city and 17-19 freeway with stock.

You are compensating for the reduction in the speedometer and consequently the odometer readings correct?

For some reason, fuel economy and the 100 don't seem to go hand in hand.

That being said, I run 33 ATs and it's better then when I had the MTs.

Then again, I don't drive like Loud and keep it 65 and under.

What my mileage is, I have no idea. I just go by consumption.

Then again, I drive the truck maybe twice a month. :eek:

If you were to add a removable front air damn i do believe it has been tested and shown to improve mpg by about 1-2 mpg. I guess your best bet would be to buy then chop off the bottom of a JOAS front bumper and attach it to an ARB for highway driving.

The 33 inch tires (285/75 16) I am running are Yokohama Geolander AT/S's. Yokes are my favorite tire. I am very impressed with their durability.

I took my bug shield off, just did an oil change with Mobil 1 10w30 Full Synth. and a wix filter.

And took out the back jump seats to lighten up a bit. I'll try and stay under 75 most of the time.

the whole trip is 3500 miles. I like the idea of the removable front air dam, just was not able to get to it in time.

I am running a front brush bar so I know that screws with the air flow.

I actually am not sure if I am figuring my mileage out correct. I know I get to 290 miles MAX on a tank, but I have not calculated the difference. So if I multiply that times .06 then that 17 more miles. I am actually getting to 307 miles on a tank?

about 12-13 MPG.??

PS the reason I went to the bigger tires, was due to being in Colorado that little bit helps get through the deep snow. Also when going 4 wheeling, every bit of clearance is helpful.

How would I figure that one out?

The 33 inch tires (285/75 16) I am running are Yokohama Geolander AT/S's. Yokes are my favorite tire. I am very impressed with their durability.

I took my bug shield off, just did an oil change with Mobil 1 10w30 Full Synth. and a wix filter.

And took out the back jump seats to lighten up a bit. I'll try and stay under 75 most of the time.

the whole trip is 3500 miles. I like the idea of the removable front air dam, just was not able to get to it in time.

I am running a front brush bar so I know that screws with the air flow.

I actually am not sure if I am figuring my mileage out correct. I know I get to 290 miles MAX on a tank, but I have not calculated the difference. So if I multiply that times .06 then that 17 more miles. I am actually getting to 307 miles on a tank?

about 12-13 MPG.??

PS the reason I went to the bigger tires, was due to being in Colorado that little bit helps get through the deep snow. Also when going 4 wheeling, every bit of clearance is helpful.

How would I figure that one out?

Check this out:Tire Dimensions Made Simple - Discount Tire

Second, you got the wrong vehicle if you are worried about fuel consumption.

...I actually am not sure if I am figuring my mileage out correct. I know I get to 290 miles MAX on a tank, but I have not calculated the difference. So if I multiply that times .06 then that 17 more miles. I am actually getting to 307 miles on a tank?

about 12-13 MPG.??...

:confused:
:idea:

How many gallons to fill your tank after that??? Are you estimating your mileage, or actually calculating it?

300+ miles on a tank is pretty darn good for me, but again, it depends on how far down you run it...

Last edited:
If you want to increase mileage buy a scangauge. Then you know how much fuel you are sucking. When you see it 4mpg you are likely to let up on the gas pedal a little. It also helps you adjust your speed to get better mileage.

This is very true, seeing the actual real-time MPG makes you more conscience of your right foot. Lately I've been watching the trip info screen on the factory NAV more and more while driving and it's definitely a reminder to lay off the gas.

FWIW, on my 04 LC with 295x75x16 (34") tires I get 14-16 MPG depending on how much is highway vs. city driving. Which means I get approx 315 miles per tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom