97 LX450- headlights won’t shut off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lookin’ for some help. 97 LX450. Headlights won’t shut off. I was driving it home tonight and noticed the headlights wouldn’t come on. I rotated the headlight switch a few times and they came on. I got home and now can’t get the headlights turned off. I pulled the two fuses in the engine compartment fuse box, as well as the relay. They’re still on. Anybody had this problem? I’ll probably pull negative battery cable and evaluate in morning.

Lookin’ for some help. 97 LX450. Headlights won’t shut off. I was driving it home tonight and noticed the headlights wouldn’t come on. I rotated the headlight switch a few times and they came on. I got home and now can’t get the headlights turned off. I pulled the two fuses in the engine compartment fuse box, as well as the relay. They’re still on. Anybody had this problem? I’ll probably pull negative battery cable and evaluate in morning.
I figured out this truck has a Slee headlight harness, so I was able to disconnect the wires that come off the battery to shut off the headlamps. Still not sure why the lights won’t shut off with the column stalk???

The column stalk faulty? Seems reasonably.
Good time to toss the 'upgraded' wire harness is now.

Harness melted and have a direct short now?

This may sound stupid and a long shot, check your driver's door switch too. When I damaged mine, reinstalling the seat, the lights would not automatically turn off after use.

This may sound stupid and a long shot, check your driver's door switch too. When I damaged mine, reinstalling the seat, the lights would not automatically turn off after use.
Does not have auto shut off lights. When driver shuts off vehicle, it’s his/her responsibility to shut off lights. Harness looks OK. I also noticed when I have column stock to low beams ON position and switch to parking lamp position there is a click noise under hood. I’m thinking Slee harness relay is stuck ON. The stalk must be good since it is trying to turn off relay. Not an electrician guru, so any opinions welcome.

I'd start by unplugging the harness "upgrade" and plug the lights back in the original way.
The extra harness you have uses the signal for the lights to energize an additional relay for low and high beams.
Go back to stock set up and see if that works or ignites.
My uneducated opinion anyway.

I'd start by unplugging the harness "upgrade" and plug the lights back in the original way.
The extra harness you have uses the signal for the lights to energize an additional relay for low and high beams.
Go back to stock set up and see if that works or ignites.
My uneducated opinion anyway.
Update: I changed out one of the 30amp relays in the Slee system and that fixed it. I found the problem when I was moving the relays around the lights flickered off then on again. Simple fix.

My Sler harness vcd went bv ad so I pulled it out. No more problems. Lights appear to be the same brightness.

My Sler harness vcd went bv ad so I pulled it out. No more problems. Lights appear to be the same brightness.
I don’t usually get that lucky with electrical stuff. If it acts up again, I’m pulling it and going back to stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom