'97 LX Ground Up Build, Cummins (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well. I did the adventure vehicles NW adapter for the toyota T-case to NV4500, and then got a SD dana 60 high pinion front axle cut and swapped over to match the passenger side output of the HF2A case. The swap involved shortened and resplined inner shaft to match the rear axle width (14 bolt out back)

As opposed to the t-caser adapter costs, Its actually maybe not much more costlier to swap in the t-case that comes on the dodge trans, and then swap axles while your at it... If you want to cut off the brackets that came on the 80's axles and graft them to one ton axles from a donor.

Ya it is a bunch more work, but then you also get upgraded brakes, stronger axles, you can swap the radius arms to the top of the front axles or 3 link, and stronger options for high steer. The toyota power steering box is easy to drill/tap and swap some seals for hydro assist if you want while your at it.

Note: possible that fuel tank swap or mods might be neccesary.
That's a hell of a project, but way deeper than I ever want to get into this thing. I don't plan to push the 12 valve very hard, and the stock axles should be more than adequate for my goals. Plus, the all wheel drive with the Toyota case is a godsend in the winter for me

Ya, deeper into a project than I wanted to go to actually..

I would drive a little hard and loose teeth on the rear pinion (part time conversion) but maybe with a full time setup and stock axles you'll be fine, I may have had less damage too.

Also for winter driving did I choose to go to the full time t-case.

Currently, I'm still running 4.11 gears in the new axles and they are fine with the granny low ratio of 1st gear in the NV4500 trans I have. Going from 37/38" tires to 40/42's adds a lot of "rubber overdrive" but it still works well, just different.

I would not use the 4L80e behind a a Cummins. They don't hold up as well as they do behind GM engines.

The 47RE/48RE can be a decent transmission for a little while, but 95% of them are never decent. I've had too many Dodges with them and will never, ever own another one of them. If you go this direction I would recommend having Georend build you one with a top notch converter and don't cut any corners. Even with that I have not seen one of those transmissions live a long fruitful life. Just too many little things that go wrong in them. And 48RE is not really anything better than an upgraded 47RE. They're the same tranny for practical purposes.

I can tell you the 6 speed Allison 1000 fits in an 80 series between a 12 valve and an HF2AV. I don't have 100% of the details because it isn't finished yet, but when it is I plan to share. Probably this summer.

I would not use the 4L80e behind a a Cummins. They don't hold up as well as they do behind GM engines.

The 47RE/48RE can be a decent transmission for a little while, but 95% of them are never decent. I've had too many Dodges with them and will never, ever own another one of them. If you go this direction I would recommend having Georend build you one with a top notch converter and don't cut any corners. Even with that I have not seen one of those transmissions live a long fruitful life. Just too many little things that go wrong in them. And 48RE is not really anything better than an upgraded 47RE. They're the same tranny for practical purposes.

I can tell you the 6 speed Allison 1000 fits in an 80 series between a 12 valve and an HF2AV. I don't have 100% of the details because it isn't finished yet, but when it is I plan to share. Probably this summer.

How are you tie'ing the trans to t-case? Sounds cool!

How are you tie'ing the trans to t-case? Sounds cool!
The Allison has a short output shaft. I made a new one from carburized 8620 to fit the hf2av. I machined a new extension housing for the Allison.

There is a tight spot where the Allison electrical connector plugs in on the passenger rear of the tranny. Haven't sorted out the mount or crossmember yet. Hoping to use the FZJ80 parts, but they may not fit because of where that connector is.

There's a very good builder local to me that builds autos that have very good reviews, I was going to see what he could build for me. I've owned a few Cummins automatics and have never been overly impressed myself, but I know they can be built to a pretty decent standard, and I don't plan to break 250 horse/600 lb/ft of torque on this build, so theoretically the auto should have a long and happy life. That Allison project sounds very cool, can't wait to see how that turns out

Pulled the trigger on a 48Re auto transmission, has about 1000 km on a stock rebuild. These don't have a great reputation in their OEM use in 1 ton Dodge Rams hauling several thousand pounds, but I don't plan on more than 300 horse on my build, even that is a little ambitious. And the only thing this will tow is a small boat, or maybe the ice shack again. Just need to clean it up and find a stand alone controller. And of course, purchase the adaptor to mate this to an HF2A

20230402_114932.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom