'97 FZJ80 sounds like it's haunted by whales (w/ link to youtube video) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I'm fairly new here and new to TLC ownership. Picked up a 40th Anniversary and had engine seals replaced, hg, hoses, etc. (and a good de-griming) - all as preventative work. She's not my DD, so I've not done but a couple quick trips around town. Just today, these haunted whale sounds started after turning off ignition. (Video at ) Thoughts??

Get your kid out of the back seat and tell them to stop making those noises, just to see what we'll say......

HA! Is that noise coming out of the speakers?
I took a minute to go try to isolate the sound, but just running the truck on the driveway for a minute or two wasn't enough. I'll get more scientific about things after work tonight. It did kinda sound like from the speakers, but couldn't quite tell.

Seriously, though, if those are real.......
My 96 antenna NEVER powers itself up or down. It is ONLY when I push the button.

Other thoughts:
Blend doors repositioning after shut-down
Vacuum leaks equalizing, but I don;t know of anything vacuum operated in the cab.

Can you hear the noise OUTSIDE the cabin?

Seriously, though, if those are real.......
My 96 antenna NEVER powers itself up or down. It is ONLY when I push the button.

Other thoughts:
Blend doors repositioning after shut-down
Vacuum leaks equalizing, but I don;t know of anything vacuum operated in the cab.

Can you hear the noise OUTSIDE the cabin?
Per earlier post a minute ago, I tried to reproduce it (with the hood up this time), but no luck. Blend doors - as in the climate control Fresh/Recirc, you mean? Hadn't thought of that. My troubleshooting brain is asking what changed to cause the behavior, and well ... all that engine work provides all kinds of possibilities. Vaccuum, A/C, other. I'll post up later after a couple more tests. It really did sound like it was in the cab or just in front of the dash. Totally bizarre and a little entertaining. ;)

Thanks, that's a test I'll do...tonight. It's like 105 outside right now, and 140 in the truck. Waiting till the sun goes down.

Pussy... :hillbilly:

Something to do with the stereo is my guess

Free Willy?? :hillbilly:

Welp, I made a beer run, ran the a/c got the motor up to operating temp, did everything I could to replicate conditions from earlier today, but...no ghosts, nor whales, nor wails, nor intergalactic communications, nor nuthin'. Will drive her to work tomorrow to see if any other that returns. Appreciate the input, gentlemen!

Star Trek IV, the Voyage home; maybe a tear in the space/time continuum?? Check your glove box for a micro-worm hole
and a couple of miniature whales.

Star Wars, sick Wookie with the Wookflu?

Or, Brake booster vacuum leak??

Star Trek IV, the Voyage home; maybe a tear in the space/time continuum?? Check your glove box for a micro-worm hole
and a couple of miniature whales.

Star Wars, sick Wookie with the Wookflu?

Or, Brake booster vacuum leak??
I like the thought of the brake booster!

I couldn't think of a vacuum canister, but that would be it.

If you hear it again, push on the brake pedal to see if it changes the noise or eliminates it!

x2 on the brakes. Were you pressing them?

My FJC does a sort of similar noise, but VERY faintly at stop lights. Sounds like a street bike accelerating far off in the distance...like a sort of pressure sound rising like yours does, but a little slower to climb. I cannot figure it out for the life of me.

I was going to guess something with the charcoal canister or check valve. Done any work to that area?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom