'97 FZJ80 sounds like it's haunted by whales (w/ link to youtube video) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If your antennae is going down by itself (my 92 does not, only manually by button) it begs the question if there is some kind of electrical or other type current still going between the radio and antennae causing some kind of feedback loop. I've experienced similar noises in vehicles with radio issues and they would increase and decrease in volumn and pitch with the speed of the vehicle.

That is a fantastic perk with the new cruiser. Sounds amazing :smokin:

If your antennae is going down by itself (my 92 does not, only manually by button) it begs the question if there is some kind of electrical or other type current still going between the radio and antennae causing some kind of feedback loop. I've experienced similar noises in vehicles with radio issues and they would increase and decrease in volumn and pitch with the speed of the vehicle.

That is a fantastic perk with the new cruiser. Sounds amazing :smokin:

97 have the auto antenna feature.

man i have no clue what's happening, but that gave a good laugh. good luck fixing it but i think it's awesome conversation starter

I like the thought of the brake booster!

I couldn't think of a vacuum canister, but that would be it.

If you hear it again, push on the brake pedal to see if it changes the noise or eliminates it!
Didn't recur today, but I will keep this in mind. Excellent suggestion! Thank you.

Rear wiper??? I accidentally hit mine today and it sounded similar.

I hope you get it all "Zort"ed out..lol

Joking aside, sounded like radio to me...

Your trucks new name should be "Banshee"

I like the thought of the brake booster!

I couldn't think of a vacuum canister, but that would be it.

If you hear it again, push on the brake pedal to see if it changes the noise or eliminates it!
Finally got the whales to wail again on Friday - a good 'n' hot one here in Phoenix.
- The sound is *not* from the stereo
- Pushing brake pedal made no difference - probably *not* brake booster

Will check fluids.
Seems heat-related. A/C?

maybe pressure equalizing in the ac system, but if that was the case I would expect you to be able to hear that while driving when you turn the ac off or maybe when the ac cycles on and off depending on how quickly its cycling

Does it generally occur after a long drive in hot weather?
Next time it happens open the gas cap or one of the hoses
going to the vapor canister to see if the noise stops.

Finally got the whales to wail again on Friday - a good 'n' hot one here in Phoenix.
- The sound is *not* from the stereo
- Pushing brake pedal made no difference - probably *not* brake booster

Will check fluids.
Seems heat-related. A/C?

When the A/C is turned off, the high and low sides equalize, normal. Sometimes, on some systems, this makes noise.

When the A/C is turned off, the high and low sides equalize, normal. Sometimes, on some systems, this makes noise.
Do you think the orifice valve could be partially clogged and takes a while to equalize ?

Do you think the orifice valve could be partially clogged and takes a while to equalize ?

The A/C has been getting tested pretty good here lately, don't see any performance complaint? If it is pressure equalization noise, it doesn't necessarily point to a problem. A buddies new ford did it, he got spun up and made them replace most of the system chasing it, they killed the sound, but it never worked as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom