97 FZJ-80 Manual (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.alexanderimaging.com
Ok, so what's the best manual to own for learning about/working on this rig. Things like brakes, brake lines, hose routings, electrical, suspension etc. What's the FSM manual. I see SOR has the 1997 Repair Manual-1997 FZJ80 engine & chassis, for 107 bucks. Will this cover, boody panels(interior), wire routing etc. Is there an aftermarket one, an OEM, one. Any recommendations?? Also, who is a good source for Jackstands, can't find em on SOR

Thanks

Photo,

FSM = Factory Service Manual; and it's recommended.

Frank.

Get the factory manual! The wiring diagrams are the ladder type which for me took a little getting used to but they are quite extensive. The one draw back is that all repairs are actually rebuilds. So the first thing you will do is remove the assembly from the vehicle. In another thread someone talks about replacing the output shaft seal of the t-case. The manual instructs you to remove the Tranny/T-Case assembly, separate the two and then remove the rear extension. Someone on another forum reported that the extension could be removed while the t-case was still on the vehicle. So some of the smaller but more indepth repairs require one to read between the lines.

Any Toyota dealer can order them for you. Some do not like to as there is little profit in them. Check at your local dealer, if you get the runaround PM me and I will assist you.

Regards, Dan :beer:

So I guess i am wondering if this manual SOR has is the same as the FSM. It states OEM 1997 Repair Manual-1997 FZJ80 engine & chassis. 107 bucks. Does that sound right??

PC,
Your Toyota dealer can order you the FSM or there is a Toyota Publications web site at:

http://www.toyota.com/html/owners/maintenance/manuals.html#landcruiser

There is a comprehensive FSM, a transmission manual, and a electronic wiring diagram (EWD) manual. These are seperate manuals for the 97 models. Since you have the fabulous 343 tranny, buying the transmission manual would be a waste.  :G

Some information on the Toyota Material Distribution Center:

Toyota Factory Manuals
==================
The following Toyota Center ships factory owner's manuals and factory repair manuals worldwide every hour:

Toyota Material Distribution Center
750 West Victoria St
Rancho Dominguez/Compton,California
USA 90220-5538/90220-5503

Ph:1-800-622-2033 (outside CA)(M-F: 7-5 PST)
Ph:1-800-443-7656 (inside CA)
Ph:1-310-818-4630 (in or outside CA)

Ask for Delores or Beverly. You can order it over the phone and charge to a credit card.

Buy your jack stands locally as the shipping would eat your lunch.  Buy *tall* jacks stands; don't skimp on quality or capacity. 6 ton is about right. Sears has good package deals on floor jacks and jack stands. Here are the ones I bought if you have a Harbor Freight close by: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38847

-B-

Great..thanks for the leads. I did brakes, front, last week and had some questions, needed a manual. I am gearing up to install OME springs and shocks next week, thought a manual would be good incase I screw up a brake line, or who knows what.

PC,
The FSM isn't much help on the OME install. You won't need a spring compressor as stated in the factory manual. Follow the directions on the Slee Offroad web site. (You *did* buy yours from them, right? )
-B-

I've thoroughly checked out Slee's directions. Seems pretty do-able, with the exception of the caster kit, as I don't have a press. I bought Slee's transfer skid, and am gonna buy their Sliders. I bought my OME stuff through a guy in Sonoma named Gary Kardum, at Mudrak Custom Cruiser. He's cool, local, and I really wanted to build a relationship with his cruiser shop. I'll probably drive my rig a bit, w/o the caster kit, and then have Gary do it. Seem like Slee is pretty solid on it being a good decision, regardless of rig set-up. I will buy Slee's rear bumper at some point as well..but need to re-supply $$$$$. Any thoughts on the Caster kit? As of now, I am running 285 AT/ko's, big roof rack, will be OME heavy duty kit,, (kids, dogs,lots of junk). Future will hold sliders, fr and rear bumbers, and someday, a wench (ha ha)

Buy the FSM from the toy website B posted. Also do yourself a favor and get the seperate electrical manual - you never know when you'll need it and it's cheap insurance. Even if you don't wrench your junk, keep it with you in case you brake down in some bfunky town.

For jackstands - don't get cheap ones. Safety is key. Sears routinely has a set on sale that includes a nice 2 pump jack and a set of jack stands with a creeper for like $100 (join the craftsman club if you haven't already - it's free and you get special sales). This is a great 3-1/2 ton set up and the jack gets up high enough to lift weight within 2 pumps - sounds like no biggie, but when you're doing it frequently you'll appreciate it. Also never hurts to have extra jack stands - even for holding other things up in position as your wrenching.

Some things are cool to go cheap on, a jack and stands will last a lifetime, but if you go cheap that lifetime could be short. :eek: :slap:

Sears routinely has a set on sale that includes a nice 2 pump jack

Yep, that's the one I bought but not in the kit. The kit that Junk mentions is a much better deal.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom