97 Front Wheel Bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hopefully you look at the bearing it self and see where it is made. I do use Napa and Carquest for many things if I can not get my parts in advance from either Dan or local dealer. I was just trying to find the bearing for the P/S pump for the 80 and neither napa or carquest had US or Japanese bearing for my part number, the Timkin box was a bearing made in China and the value brand was made in China. So I personally do not use chinese make bearings in my trucks.

Good point. You can find French and Mexican bearings in Timken boxes as well. I always hold out for Timken USA bearings. Also, AutoZone has been known to get duped by their customers who stick the old used bearings back in the wrappers and boxes and return them as new. So be sure and check your boxes for new contents before you leave the store.

We have an AutoZone pretty close but I have a good relationship with the napa guys. Its kind of like this: when I walk into the autozone, everyone is dressed up in clean clothes and there is a bunch of bling in my face. Napa, I walk in and 2 out of 3 employees have some form of dirt or grease on their shirts and the store is full of useful, undecorated items.
That's kind of funny. The Napa store in my town has a bunch of guys in clean shirts and trousers that are always on the phone. Walk-ins are ignored if the phone is ringing. In fact one time I called from the Chevrolet dealership next door so that I could get better service than that given a walk-in. It's like Burger King or MacDo's. If you drive your car through the take-out, you will get fast service. Walk in and you wait.
Not to mention it is one of the only stores you can still walk in with a cigarette and they have a broken piston waiting for you as an ashtray. I don't smoke any longer but I'm glad they still allow it if you want.
Another reason that I wouldn't go near your Napa store. Nothing turns me off more than a stiffling atmosphere filled with smelly sick people. I'll go into Auto Zone even though the stinky guys are there because they at least respect the wishes of the healthy by putting the smoking outside.

Timken developed the metallurgy and bearing design and licensed it to Koyo. Koyo tapered roller bearings are basically Timken bearings made in Japan.

I would not hesitate, not even blink, at using Timken bearings made in the USA, Canada, or France. China and Mexico, not so sure. Timken AFAIK has several other bearing factories around the world.

(Several members of my family are Timken retirees, this info is straight from the horse's mouth.)

Timken developed the metallurgy and bearing design and licensed it to Koyo. Koyo tapered roller bearings are basically Timken bearings made in Japan. by a Japanese company

Which is why Koyo's are better....just like the LC was copied directly from Willy's...they just made it better.

;)

-o-

I stumbled on the rebuild kit at Cruiser Outfitters, one of the supporting vendors. They appear to have a very reasonable price and offer koyo or timken bearings. Any thoughts on this versus OEM set from Toytota?

Thanks again.

For the record, I was actually looking for body panels for my 40 when I stumbled on them.

The only thing I can say is my experience. All of my trucks have Timkins at this point. I buy them at AutoZone and check to make sure they are the USA ones. I've never gotten anything else to date. They fit great, no problems, and seem to wear as well as OEM, though none of them are at super high miles yet. In your case, get whatever bearings are more available and cheaper and go with it.

If you order from CruiserOutfitters, he'll get you good bearings. I also bought a set of Koyo's from Marlin a long time ago that had a very attractive price as I remember.

This might be a dumb question but, do the races have to be pressed out? I'm gonna be doing my bearings, birfield rebuild kit job, and axle seals in a week or two. These oem bearings are expensive!!, as I bought mine from the local toyota dealorship.

This might be a dumb question but, do the races have to be pressed out? I'm gonna be doing my bearings, birfield rebuild kit job, and axle seals in a week or two. These oem bearings are expensive!!, as I bought mine from the local toyota dealorship.

You can't really press them out, but there are little relief areas on their seat that will allow you to get a drift behind it and drive it out. It's easy, and only takes a few seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom