97 died while merging onto the interstate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.alpine-overland.com
So today my truck shut off on me while merging onto the highway and I had to tow it home. It was running just fine for an hour long drive earlier today. It cranks just fine and I have a dual battery system with plenty of power. The CEL does illuminate when the key is in the on position. Fusible links are new-ish. No codes stored. Plenty of gas. I kept trying to start it while waiting for a tow and it briefly sputtered to life for a second before dying. I’m guessing the fuel pump has died, but is there something I’m overlooking?

Last edited:
Gotcha.

Id probably just go with the simplest stuff first.
-check spark
-crack a fuel line and make sure it’s getting fuel. I’d try it at the filter, there may be a better place idk

Wondering.. maybe wiring to the fuel pump? Pump is under the 2nd row seats, there is access panel from inside

Any recent work?

First things that come to mind:
Check the plug on top of the distributor to make sure it's plugged in.
Check the MAF to make sure it's plugged in. (Just saw @enox said the same...)

Has the wiring harness next to the EGR ever been checked?

I'm guessing the fuel pump took a dump.
Same thing happened to my on my 3rd gen 4Runner. Ran perfect, go home, try to leave and no start.

Spray starting fluid in the intake while cranking and see if it fires up. Then you'll know it's fuel related. If it is, first pull the fuel pump speed relay from the harness on the driver's side fender and clean off the relay points with a fingernail file Emory board. If your pump did take a poop, you would probably want to change the relay out anyway due to quite a few years on it too. Just like the bad pump.

Or, is it simply out of gas?

Last edited:
No recent work. I just checked the distributor plug and its on tight. The MAF is connected too, but the wires don't look great (although they are still connected). The harness by the EGR is fine and I had heat wrapped it about a year ago to make sure it stays protected.

No recent work. I just checked the distributor plug and its on tight. The MAF is connected too, but the wires don't look great (although they are still connected). The harness by the EGR is fine and I had heat wrapped it about a year ago to make sure it stays protected.
Did you give that MAF a wiggle? Mine looked fine but caused my 80 to die..

I'm sorry if someone else mentioned it above, but is it running now or still dead and just cranking? Next to check would be fuel delivery..

Did you give that MAF a wiggle? Mine looked fine but caused my 80 to die..

I'm sorry if someone else mentioned it above, but is it running now or still dead and just cranking? Next to check would be fuel delivery..
Here’s the maf. I’ll have someone wiggle it while I try to start it. If it is the maf, I assume I have to splice in a new connector?

69EA6002-8E0D-4400-BD64-50A249D5ABC3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom