96 cruiser - huming sound coming from rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a 96 Landcruiser. I recently noticed a hum sound coming from the rear of the vehicle when under load. The sound goes away when you let off the accelerator. Occurs between 60 to 70 mph. I took it to the local toyota dealership and they indicated the rear end should be replaced. The $1500 repair seems crazy considering they could not guarantee this was the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Vehicle has 111k miles on it.

I have 97 and I had exactly same symptom to mine. I took it to dealer had them check on differential (Third member). They checked the fluid first, it was clean and good. Took it out for test drive, and result was the copped inward tires that was making the sound.
Also, if your rear end is bad, whic shouldn't be at 111k mi, check with your local driveline mechanics to see how much for rebuild instead of replacing with stealer. I got a estimate before at $650.00 to rebuild but found it was tires making sound, I am not going to bother. After replacing the tires and if it still makes sound, I am going to go back to the dealer and have them reimburse me for the tires and have them fix the humming for free since they have mis-diagnosed it.

Did they happen to mention checking the U-joints. This can create certain types of hums and vibrations. Dry U-joints, Loose wheel bearing? What did the fluid look like? Some other places to look besides tires. later Robbie

You are all wrong.

Just open the back and let the bee out and the humming will stop :D

Mike

doesn't really pulsate. more or less just a huming sound while under (acceleration) between 60 and 70 mph. dealer seems to think it will get worse over time, but also stated it may be ok for the next 50 to 75k miles? who knows?

I'll second Robbies advice on the u-joints. I greased mine about 4 months after purchasing this past year. I also had the same exact hum and it was gone after greasing u-joints and driveshafts. They were quite dry.

Vince

re 97 cruiser:

your problem was occuring only a certain speeds also?
I'm kind of glad to hear that someone else has experienced something similar. Should i have the dealership service it or do you think any mechanic could?

96NC,

Greasing your U-joints & driveshafts is something you/we should do at every fluid change interval anyway - why not giving it a shot ?

Mine stopped humming (very faint sound in high gear @ 60K but I'm anal about my truck) after I greased it. Of course, I did not know that should have greased it that often (neglected for 24K).

Buy a grease gun & a tube of M1 synthetic and you're set.

Frank.

Mine was doig exactly like yours. Above 65mph. It was getting really annoying, that's why I brought to the dealer. First dealer right off the bat told me I need new third memeber at $2,000.00. Forget it. So I went to driveline specialties place who worked on LC before. He knew the symptom and told me they can reuild at aout 650.00. I wanted to get more input. Iwent to different dealer. TOld me the tires.
I have greased my u-joints and other grease fittings. The humm still exists.

there have been many many past posts on this problem and many many theories out there. Many people have this symptom including me (at 75-80). Although it always happens at 60 mph plus there may be multiple causes. Junk claims it goes away once you get over 100.

Nobody's rear end has given out yet so hold off on that fix.

greasing the u-joints works for some (not me)

some people think its in the exhaust (I no longer do)

replacing the tires has generally made no difference (it did not for me)

repacking the rear wheel bearings makes a difference to some (haven't tried that yet)

someone said using synthetic gear oil in the rear helped.

I get a slight hum/vib but doesn't feel like it is comming from the rear.
It happens at about 70mph. With the front driveshaft off i didn't hear it.
Remove your rear driveshaft and lock the center diff. See if you still have the hum.

Add me to the pile, I just bought a 97 FZJ. It's got the hum between 68 and 75 mph. Just drained and filled it with Amsoil and it's still there. Already greased the u joints. Sounds like Toyota got some bad carrier bearings..........

Hey, it is a truck. :) You should hear my brand new Chevy Silverado in 4wd.

If you want to figure out if it is the diff, buy some 90w140 gear oil and replace the diff oil. Drive it a little (10 or so miles) and see if the noise changes. If it is in the diff, the ticker oil would change the sound and you should know where it is.

Unless you have bad carrier carrier bearings or pinion bearings, rebuilding might not help. It might be the ring and pinion and not the bearings. It would be unlikely that the rear diff is trashed. Since the gearlube does not get contaminated like the front, even without regular changing of the fluids, the bearings should still be ok since the fluid does not get that dirty.

Also, note the position of the transfercase in relation to the front seats in the truck. A lot of times, what sounds like it comes from the rear could actually be the front driveshaft.

Also, when last did you do a service on the rear wheel bearings?

I had the u-joints & drive shafts greased this mourning, but the noise is still there. The mechanic I dealt with today is convinced that it is the ring & pinion or bad carrier bearings. Either way he thinks it should be ok for possibly 4 or 5 years depending on mileage. Guess I will just turn up the radio. Thanks for all the input.

I am almost sure that the hum/vib I have is from the t-case. It did it with all three t-cases and went away with the front drive shaft off.
It feels like the t-case is equalizing power from front to rear.
The center diff or t-case had spider gears(i think that what they are called) just like a normal diff.
And just like a diff, it sends power to the least resistance, thus the pulsating hum or vib.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom