96 1FZ-FE won’t stay running, ignition issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 96 80, 1fZ will start but won’t stay running. So last week I had to replace a ruptured heater hose. The one under the intake manifold and above the starter. I didn’t want to remove the intake so I worked underneath. I’m a big guy and struggled immensely to get in there. I removed the starter and quite a few other things to get it done. I was careful to get everything back together the way it was. When I went to start it it cranked fine, but no start. I checked the ignition system and there was no spark at the coil. I replaced the crank position sensor but still no luck. I discovered the neg. battery cable was trashed. I replaced the cables and several ground wires and it started! It ran for about 1/2 an hour then shut it off. When I test drove it it shut down half a block away. Now it will occasionally fire but will shut down as if I flipped a switch. When this happens everything else still has power. Some things that come to mind now is perhaps a bad coil. Another thing is maybe the fusable link, however it’s only about 6 months old. I did notice that the link that has the grey plastic plug had been replaced on the harness side. It has shrink tubing but I don’t know if it had been soldered or crimped. I discovered last night that there is an ignition control module that potentially could cause these symptoms, anyone have problems with that? It’s about $200 so I hesitate to just buy one to try it. I sure could use some help, this is my daily driver. Thanks.

Last edited:
I’ve just discovered there’s an ignition control module. Could this be the problem? I can’t find much info on it. It does seem like the cooler things are the longer it runs.

Possibly check the PCV valve and hoses? When I blew the PHH on my 80 a while back, I had to replace the PCV valve and hose to get it to run right. I must have bumped the valveline and cracked it, which made it idle really rough and eventually die.

PCV Valve replacement

Mine actually runs great, when it starts, then it’ll shut off like flicking a switch after 10 or 15 seconds.

Problem solved. It was the ignition control module. I discovered the mounting bolt wasn’t tight causing ground problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom