95 fzj80 - Ticking noise - Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey everyone and thank in advance for your thoughts.

1995 fzj80
384,000 miles

Iv recently replaced:

Belts
Fan clutch
Radiator
Water pump
Oil change / filter
Front oil seal
Oil pump cover seal
Thermostat
Hoses...etc...

Now I have this ticking noise that occurs about 5 min after starting the vehicle. It is consistent and when rpm go up,, so does the ticking.

Video with sound:

I did use a lighter weight oil 5w30 but included some thicker additive. I heard changing the oil weight helped in some cases. This isn't the case with me. My oil level light is on but I think this might be a faulty oil level sensor. Oil pressure at operating temp is at about 1/3. See image.

20200717_140927.jpg

There are threads I’ve read recently talking about using a microphone to check for specific location of odd noises. I’ll try to find one of them.

That’s a respectable amount of miles on the odometer. What are your long term expectations for the motor?

That’s a respectable amount of miles on the odometer. What are your long term expectations for the motor?
I might be in a place to either rebuild or replace it sooner than later. Until then, id like to keep it as up to date and healthy as possible.

Hey Everyone,

After using the stethoscope, it sounds like my alternator / idler pulley and the lower tensioner pulley are bad. I have ordered both and will keep everyone updated on the outcome.

You might get lucky spraying the pulleys with some wd40, silicone or whatever and see if the noise goes away or quiets down a bit. That’s how I diagnosed mine.

You know what just hit me, I bet my timing is off. I just did the distributor gasket and did not mark my timing adjustment bolt.

Figured out the ticking noise. Took of the idler pulley and started it up. No noise. Looking at the pulley, the bearing way off center. Sp there you have it. Thanks to everyone for your advice 🤙

IMG_20200724_124841_242.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom