94 FZJ80 6.2 conversion begins! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusty,

So it has been a little while since the last update. How are things progressing now? Get the fuel economy dialed in better? What are you getting now? I am considering this conversion on my FJ62 but keeping the A440 using the AA adapter.

Thoughts on using the earlier 6.5td?

I did sell it around Thanksgiving and bought a Mercedes G350 diesel. I love the Mercedes but really miss the 6.2 as well, it is a great engine. As far as mileage it was around 18-20 on the highway, I have heard stories of much better mileage and much worse so alot of it depends upon how the engine is set-up. There were several different heads for those engines, some gave more power, others better mileage. Mine was a military engine so it was the most powerful head but still gave what I thought to be pretty good mileage.The early engines had the most fuel efficient heads if that is what you are after.
The ratio on the A440 transmission is very close to that of the 700R4 so that would be a good way to go.
My vehicle is now in Colorado and I have kept in contact with the new owner, so far everything is still doing well. I am curious how it will do in the mountains but he hasn't taken it up any passes yet. He does live at altitude and says it runs great.
The early 6.5 turbo would be good, but they only made it without the electronics for one year, 93 so it is hard to find. There are turbos available for the 6.2 and from what I have read the 6.2 with a turbo puts out more power than the 6.5 factory turbo.
Good luck, I may do another one someday myself
Rusty

Rusty, sorry to hear you got rid of the 80 with the 6.2. I kept up with your build because I plan on using a 6.2 in my 75 Fj40. I'll keep this post link as a reference for my build. Thanks for the inspiration and good luck with the MB.

I think the A440 would be about the same as the 700R4, the overdrive for the 700R4 is .70, I think the A440 is about .72 or something like that? Close enough that it would only be a few rpm at highway speed. The only thing is the price, if you need to get your A440 rebuilt it will probably cost more than buying a rebuilt 700R4 set up specifically for the 6.2. The other problem might be getting the shift points right with the A440, I am sure it can be done but at what price? You can buy a rebuilt 700R4 from probably $750 and up, hard to beat. The adapter is about the same price either way. As far as driveability, once I got the 700R4 set-up right it was great, just finding a shop that knows what it is doing is the main thing.
You are making me want to build another 6.2 land cruiser again!
Rusty

kcustom73, I have a 78 FJ40 I am going to get around to someday and I am definitely going to think about the 6.2 for that project, I really miss that engine, it was a perfect fit for the 80, I now know why the Aussies love it so much.
Rusty

It has been some time now, but I did speak with a fellow in Australia that had already gone with the 6.5TD using the A440. He said he was happy with the conversion. Im going to see if I can find the emails.

If I did go with a 6.5 TD I would go with the mech-inject pump. If it is a one year only wouldnt you be able to just convert the engine over to mechanical injection and toss the ecu?

I am sure you can easily convert to a mechanical pump, I have heard about people doing so. If I were doing it again I would probably build a 6.5 non-turbo, the power is plenty even with the 6.2 unless you live at altitude then I am sure you would probably want the turbo.
Rusty

The part# for the pump for the correctly calibrated pump that came on the 93 non ECM 6.5TD is 2831-4911. It's the most sought after pump for a 6.5. They're harder to find a good deal on.
The Stanadyne 2829 pumps used from 82 to the early 90's internal plungers are .290 bore, and won't flow enough for the 6.5TD, even when turned up all the way.

Stanadyne 2831-*** pumps have the larger .310 bore plungers. They were used on both turbo and non turbo 6.5's 1992 to 1998. After 93 they were mostly military.
Any 2831 pump can be calibrated to flow enough for a turbo application.

I didn't want to pay the $$ for a 2831-4911 pump, so i found a brand new military pump, changed the 24Volt solenoids out with 12volt ones and turned the fuel up so it'll flow like a 4911 pump.

The 1993 injector lines will fit perfect with any mechanical pump. I'm told the earlier lines will work with slight bending. I've got old lines and will find out one of these days.

How easy (or hard) would it be to put the NV4500 behind the 6.5TD in an 80?

I only want a manual trans!!!

GM 95 up truck 6.5 internal slave NV4500 bell housing, GM NV4500, AA adapter, split transfer case out of a 60.
(I run this setup)

or

Any GM bell housing, AA 1" thick GM to Dodge adapter, Dodge NV4500, AA Adapter, 60 split transfer case.
You can use an external slave cylinder with this setup.

Dodge NV4500's have a 1" longer input shaft.

GM 95 up truck 6.5 internal slave NV4500 bell housing, GM NV4500, AA adapter, split transfer case out of a 60.
(I run this setup)

or

Any GM bell housing, AA 1" thick GM to Dodge adapter, Dodge NV4500, AA Adapter, 60 split transfer case.
You can use an external slave cylinder with this setup.

Dodge NV4500's have a 1" longer input shaft.

You forgot sourcing pedals and other things for the 80. Would the NV fit in the tunnel without any modifications??? Not sure it is a wide tranny.

You forgot sourcing pedals and other things for the 80. Would the NV fit in the tunnel without any modifications??? Not sure it is a wide tranny.
I would think this could be difficult as well but it would be nice to have a manual behind this engine but I think 5th gear on the NV4500 is greater than the .70 of the 700R4 in overdrive (4th gear) I am not sure about this but unless you want to go with 35" tires or larger you really need a minimum of around .70 for the transmission ratio. The 6.2 really likes to run slow!
Rusty
Glad people are still reading this post, makes me want to do it again!

LT1fire, what engine and what vehicle?

Rusty

well I am going to be doing it in my 92. Just waiting for the right engine at the right price to pop up.

Are you going with a 6.2?
I think if I do it again I might try to find a good 91 or 92 with a blown engine (hard to find I know) and swap it using the A440, should be pretty easy that way.
I think I would also use the Toyota engine mounts on the frame and make some brackets to bolt to the engine block, I think that would be fairly easy to do along with some mounts (the rubber parts) for a Toyota diesel.
Rusty

Is the new owner on the forums? I would be interested in getting in touch with him. I'd like to see how it drives, performance, power etc. Anyway I could be PM'ed the contact info?

thanks.

Not sure where to file this question, and with the experts already on this thread, I thought this might be a good place. I am looking at buying a Land Cruiser with the 6.2L. I want to eventually use it for WVO/ Bio Diesel. I was told be a reputable diesel mechanic that the 6.2 is essentially a throw away engine from a by gone past, and that they are not all the durable for running WVO. This is just his opinion, and wanted to see if anyone thought the same or in fact have had success running WVO?

Thanks in advance!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom