94 FZJ80 6.2 conversion begins! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just put 160 miles on it today with my WVO blend, it ran great, a bit of surging at first but smoothed out fine and really smells pretty good.
As far as mileage I really think it could get about 22 or so, I will let you know when I get home Tuesday. I am trying to drive between 65-70 and that is still turning about 2040 rpm. The optimum rpm for mileage is about 1800 rpm, that is about 60 mph, not sure if I can drive that slow on the interstate but it would be interesting to see what it would do. The last trip in which I got 20 mpg I drove the same speed but I had the smaller tires so I am expecting more than 20 this time.
So far things are finally going well, the transmission is not perfect but drivable. The biggest complaint is that I had a hydraulic lock-out kit put in it and it trys to lock out too soon in 3rd gear and sometimes doesn't want to unlock making the car sort of lunge when slowing. I am hoping there is a way to remedy that but haven't even started researching it, just trying to get higher priority items done now.
I will get some pics and video posted when I get home on Tuesday.
Rusty

Hey any videos or numbers?

Just an update since my last post. I was planning on posting some pictures this morning but it is raining! Anyway, I now have over 1,000 on a WVO blend, no problems so far, starts up and runs just like on diesel but my mileage has dropped to about 18 on the highway. I have read that running WVO retards the timing so maybe if I advance it a bit I will get the mileage back but since my fuel cost is under $1.00 per gallon it is not too big of a concern.
Since the last post I have added a flex-a-lite dual 13.5" electric fan set-up, it now runs nice and cool no matter how long I sit in traffic but on the highway it runs a bit warmer than what I want. This surprised me but after discussing it on the Diesel Place forum I was told the 6.2's don't develop much heat at idle. I have decided it could be the radiator. The radiator I have is a newer 2 core, I have the original 3 core radiator that came out of the 94 so I am planning on getting it cleaned and installed. At the time of my installation I wasn't aware (or even noticed) there was a 2 core and a 3 core available but after looking at them the 3 core is noticeably larger. After a little research I have found (in other vehicles anyway) that a 3 core radiator can flow as much as 50% more than a 2 core, wish I had known all of this a few months ago! Fortunately it isn't too big of a job swapping the radiator on the Land Cruiser. Since the 6.2 develops more heat running it is possible the smaller radiator just doesn't flow enough. The flex-a-lite fans are great though, they have an adjustable thermostat so you can set it to come on at any temperature, they come on at only 60% and slowly increase to 100% if needed. They are quiet and really well made and easy to install. Highly recommended.
I also just got it back from hopefully the final trip to a new transmission shop (I didn't want to wait another 6 weeks for the place I had used, plus I am not real happy with their work). I decided after the last couple weeks of lurching while coasting and stopping to order an electric TC lock-up kit and have it installed. I just got it back yesterday, they also said the TV cable was out of adjustment. It is like night and day, the shifts are much softer and better spaced and I can tell it doesn't lock up until after being in 4th for a couple seconds. Now it unlocks with a touch of the brake pedal so stopping is much more pleasant.
Next on the list is my 40 gallon auxillary tank and cruise control.
Hope to get some pictures posted as soon as the sun comes out.
Rusty

Rusty,
Awesome thread and I've really enjoyed reading it!
You have shown a ton of heart solving all those dramas to get to where you are now.

I've been running a 6.2 in a 5 speed 60 for almost 8 years now.
I run a stock fan ,with stock shroud, and an original Toyota fan clutch which I have refilled with new goo.
I've also set the fan clutch cut-in temp to suit the 6.2.
Radiator is 3 core.
The biggest influence, providing the radiator is good, is the airflow through the radiator, both from the fan and also through the grille at highway speed.
I don't run any spotlights on the bullbar of this vehicle in the interest of maintaining an unrestricted airflow to the radiator cores at cruising speeds.
Regardless of how much airflow is able to reach the front of the radiator at speed, you will still need the fan to cut in to assist when needed, especially when the ambient temp is up, the air conditioner is set on high, the vehicle is loaded and pulling up a long hill.

My 6.2 overtakes at highway speeds real well, even when heavily loaded, but it didn't do so when I first fitted it. Had to change a couple of things to get it all happening!

Does your motor rev right out to 3500 and pull strong all the way?

GM60, thanks, I have actually enjoyed most of it, if I had just picked the right transmission shop in the first place most of the frustrations would have been eliminated and I would have been driving it about 3 months earlier. As far as performance, I haven't gotten it to 3,500 rpm yet but it pulls really strong from about 1,800 on to wherever the 700R4 decides to shift. I wish I could have gone with a 5 speed but sourcing the parts for an 80 5-speed would probably be tough. As far as cooling, the weather was a few degrees cooler yesterday (only about 90º) on my little 150 mile road trip and the temperature stayed right on 195º the whole way so it was either the lower air temperature or the fact that I plugged the wire back in that makes the fans run with the A/C on. I don't have anything blocking airflow in the front of the vehicle so I think the 3 core radiator should be all I need.

Another update. I have driven another 500 or so trouble free miles. Spent the weekend installing a 40 gallon auxiliary tank with dual filler neck, the install was pretty easy just time consuming. The hardest part was the dual filler neck, had to cut the stock filler tube. The instructions should have mentioned doing this before installing the tank, would have been much easier but it is finished now I just need to clean enough of my WVO blend to fill the tank and see how it works. It is a pretty cool set-up, there is a pump that pumps fuel from the auxiliary tank into the stock tank when you push the button. Can't wait to try it out. I have not installed my 3 core radiator, It is doing fine without it but I plan to do it soon, I will need it when I tow or get into the mountains, don't have any plans to do either soon but will feel better getting it done sooner instead of later. The transmission is doing great, I have no problems recommending a 700R4 to anyone now. The more I drive this engine the more I love it, can't explain it but it just feels good. It vibrates a bit more on idle than I would like, probably due to the engine mounts, I might research it a bit and change them out, wouldn't be too difficult, just more time laying under the car. (I am a bit sore today from my tank install)
The Flex-a-Lite fans are still great, well worth the money. I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel, only things I really have left to do are the cruise control, install a WVO specific fuel pump and install my 3 core radiator. Each one is pretty simple so in a couple weekends I should have it finished and start on the next project!
I still plan to post some pictures and hopefully some video!
Rusty

I now have about 5,000 miles on the conversion around 4,000 of those on a WVO blend but that is another topic.
The engine is great, again very similar to the 1FZE but feels like it has tons of torque, plus I really like the V-8 sound and feel.
It easily gets 20 mpg on the highway at between 65-70, I keep thinking I am going to try a trip at 60 mph but just can't do it, I usually start out around 65 for a while then find myself going 70 pretty soon. It turns 2150 rpm at 70 so that is about as fast as I like to go, bigger tires would probably help but I really like the responsiveness with the 285's and not sure I would still have that with larger tires.
The engine starts flawlessly and has never given a hint of problems, I am finding though that AutoZone parts are not always great. So far I have had a bad starter, thermostat and now the alternator is going, it probably pays to buy OEM. I thought I would have peace of mind by buying all new accessories but maybe not, still though I have not been stranded.
I would highly recommend this swap to anyone, if you live in the mountains probably go with a turbo but everywhere else I think the power is fine.
Currently my next project is to replace my alternator tomorrow, install a 3 core radiator since I have a bit of towing to do in the near future, and get my cruise control installed.
As I have stated, everything on this engine is extremely simple and easy to work on, there is a ton more room around the engine and no electronics to have to diagnose.
As soon as I figure it out I still plan to add a video, may work on that this week.
Rusty

Rusty,
Great to hear you're getting to enjoy that new engine!
I agree that the 6.2 has HEAPS of torque and it is awesome even at idle!
Like I said before I've had my 6.2 for 8 years, and it still gets me grinning.
Would really love to see some video if you get the chance to put some together.
Cheers

I will put my son to work on a video, he loves doing that type of thing and is capable unlike his father!
I just got back from a trip to Jackson Hole (flew out) but couldn't help but think the whole time I was there how much I wish I had my Land Cruiser! I am sure it would have been slow in the mountains but it couldn't do any worse than the 1FZE, I had my old 94 in Colorado a few years ago and was passed by everything, as I said before being slow wouldn't be frustrating if you were getting good mileage but the 1FZE did neither, if I am only going to get 13 mpg I want to fly up the mountains! My 6.2 would be just as slow but it returns 20 mpg, and runs on WVO so with my 75/25 blend that equals about 80 mpg! I don't mind being slow for that!
Rusty

In regards to your cooling issue, I was told from my diesel injector mechanic to put in a 180 degree thermostat from NAPA instead of the stock 190. He also has a truck with a 6.2 and said the only reason GM put in a 190 thermo was for emissions. He also told me that the military 6.2's tend to run a little warmer.

BTW, what kind of flex-a-lite electric fan are you running? I had a big problem with the one I bought because the housing holding the fan motors were made out of plastic and flexed when I was offroading. They flexed so much that the fan blades hit my radiator and broke, leaving me stranded in central Baja. I ended up going to a junk yard down there and using a Celica fan to get me home.

Haven't posted on this thread in awhile so thought I would do an update. As you can tell from reading this thread I have had intermittent problems with the 6.2. I have replaced everything I thought could be causing the problems except the IP. Well the engine finally got to the point where it wouldn't even idle without severe surging. Since I had replaced everything else I decided it had to be the IP. Fortunately they are inexpensive for this engine ($350) and not too hard to replace. I got it in about 2 weeks ago and the difference is night and day! I thought the engine had pretty good power before but now it is really great! It is louder, the pump must be turned up a bit more than the old one and it is probably a bit more advanced as well, but the power is really great, don't have any desire for a turbo. It is actually kind of fun to step on the accelerator feel it go! I haven't had a chance to check for mileage but from what I have read it should be better with the timing more advanced. The noise isn't bad on the highway, and I am getting to like the noise driving it around.
I was considering a 1HD-T conversion in my 97 while I was getting frustrated with this engine but now I may do another 6.2 conversion!
Still don't have any video, but now that it is running so well I will try to get one posted.
The 40 gallon auxiliary tank is great too!
Next mods are cruise control, rear tire carrier and maybe snorkle to get some cool air to the intake.
Rusty

Subscribing Fo' Sho'

Good deal on the new IP. I just went had a similar experience. The new IP I just installed far outperforms previous ones.
I've found that internal timing on IP's can vary. You can line up the marks on one pump and engine will want more advance. Put another pump in, line up the marks and timing is noticeably more advanced.

I retarded the timing on the IP a bit this afternoon and it is quieter. Still has great power so I am happy. I set the new IP about where the old one was and it was too advanced.
I can't say enough good things about this engine, the more I drive it the more I like it. Mileage could be better but 20 for an 80 isn't bad and they seem to like WVO so the mileage doesn't matter that much.
I still think it would be great to have a meeting of diesel 60's/80's. I would love to drive a 1HD-T, Cummins, Isuzu etc. It would also really help those trying to decide on a conversion. Anyone interested?
Rusty

A meeting would be interesting. Another 6.2 attending wouldn't help much. In another month or two, I'll start a conversion on my other 60. Leaning toward a Mitsubishi 4D34 or Isuzu 4BD2T. Bought a wrecked 95 Chevy truck with a 6.5 TD. It looks kind of tempting too.

Haven't heard about the Mistubishi engine, how would that swap in? What transmission would you use?
I am like you, I have another 80 in my workshop waiting for something. It doesn't need an engine but it is a 97 so I am thinking about swapping something into it and selling my 94. It is still hard to beat the 6.2 though when you consider all the factors so I am leaning that way a bit right now.
Rusty

There is allot in favor of using a 6.2 for sure. Nice match for a cruiser.
Had an engine out of a Mitsubishi truck given to me free under the condition I put it in a Land Cruiser or some other project. that's my incentive for using that engine. It is approx the same size and weight, and same HP and torque as an Isuzu 4BD** engine.
Here they are side by side:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/225639-mitsubishi-4d34.html
I will use an H55 transmission. It's not going to be easy adapting it, but I'll try. If it becomes too frustrating, I'll go with the Isuzu.

I am jealous, how do you manage to come across those engines? I searched for an Isuzu and never could find one close enough to make it worth while. I have an Isuzu van spotted about a half mile from my house at a business, It appears that they don't use it anymore, I am tempted to stop by and ask them about it. I am just waiting to hear from someone who is actually driving the Isuzu in an 80, not sure if 130 hp is enough.
Rusty

At one time I was in the towing/scrapping car business. Have managed to stay connected or stay friends with people in the business.
I too wonder how a 130HP engine would feel like to drive in a vehicle.
You would think they would be OK because NPR trucks seem to move down the road pretty good with their loads.

Man I can't believe you are selling this. If I had the cash right now I would bid on this. I have one question though. Did you consider the NV4500 for this swap??? will it bolt up to the 6.2????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom