94 FJ80 Transmission Woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

figured while i was on the topic of and doing transmission stuff it woudnt be a bad idea. plus i read in another thread that someone encouraged it.

side note, i bought my FirstGen4Runner in Chandler.

I would recommend seeing how, or if, the problem resurfaces before dropping the pan.

Also, check the other connectors around the trans and t-case for sign of water. The electrics on these trucks were sealed up well when they left the factory, but 20 odd years has caused many of the seals to fail. If water got in that one then who knows what else was affected and may have dried out while that one connector was off.

Not to mention the OP stated in post #3 that he already tried the ECU disconnect and manual shift.

Some folks don't read before they post unfortunately. But their intentions are usually good. :)

:moon:Well I must have missed what @baldilocks said as well as the OP mentioned, I tend to always read to be sure I am not repeating redundancy, I try

I have a 94. Had odd transmission issues. including not D light. My fix.

thought this might help, at least give you something else to look at. good luck

I have a 94. Had odd transmission issues. including not D light. My fix.

thought this might help, at least give you something else to look at. good luck

Most lose the D power and need blue pill's

Check the Neutral Safety Switch barrel plug for corrosion as @Rainen mentioned above in "My Fix". You will need to remove the driver's front tire and look up and back of the engine to find it. This is a common issue and fixed my son's 94 that had "transmission issues" as well. I found two wires MOL rotted off with corrosion. I just wired the two affected ones around the connector and all has been good for several years. If your truck is missing the inner fender liners I would also recommend replacing them to help block off the water/mud from constantly reaching the connector.

great write up, killer reply. so everything has been back to normal with my rig. super happy.
i'll investigate that wiring and get some connections cleaned up and report back as soon as the weather neatens up a little more where I'm at.

side note, wrong thread, but does anyone know where to locate a front coil bucket for an fj80.
mine rusted out, looking to replace and have looked/searched/googled everywhere with no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom