93 KZJ78 Shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! Recently purchased this 93 KZJ78 and the shocks need replacing. The issue I am running into is the shocks installed right now Rancho no longer makes them. The truck has at least a 4 inch lift, guy I bought it from said 6 but I’m not sure. Anyone on here with a 4+ lift can tell me what shocks you are running so it could point me in the right direction. I have already reached out to Dobinson and theirs are too small. Thanks.

Tough Dog do 4" lift shock. I cant recall exact model but they are foam cell adjustables, I am using them.

Take a shock off and measure its length fully compressed and fully extended and then look for a shock with the same specs. Most shock absorber companies , or their dealers, display these measurements online.
I doubt you need a 4-6inch lift and you would probably love your 78 more with a 2 1/2 inch lift in the long run.

It might be worth reaching out to a few of the companies that make partsspecific to the 70 series and come recommended on here (OME, Dobinsons, Ironman) and see what might work. I had a great experience with Ironman, who had parts in the US specific to the 78, and the ride has been night and day. Any of them could also order longer shocks from their home offices in AU if you're willing to wait and they don't have them in stock.

I've found there are many 2" lifts out there for the light duty, but 4" are much harder to find.

In fact, I'd like to go from a 2" to a 4" lift. Good to know about the 4" lift tough dog shocks. @gotoy I'm wondering what springs you are using in your 15B KZJ71?

Thanks everyone for the responses. I did check with dobinson and the current shocks are definitely longer than the ones they offer for their 2.5 inch lift. I think I might be able to find some Pro-comp shocks but will have to by a converter to be able to use a lower eye bushing shock and not the stud. The lift is already installed from the previous owner and just trying to find shocks that will work with it as they are old Rancho X9000 which they dont make anymore.

I've found there are many 2" lifts out there for the light duty, but 4" are much harder to find.

In fact, I'd like to go from a 2" to a 4" lift. Good to know about the 4" lift tough dog shocks. @gotoy I'm wondering what springs you are using in your 15B KZJ71?
Hello, late reply.

Originally was tough dog springs, but did not like them. I switched to King springs, heavy duty.

Previously I was under Koni Heavy Tracks. Not specifically made for a 4" lift of a kzj...but we measured and used. If not mistaken they were 80 series regular length shocks. Still good after 10years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom