93 FZJ 80 losing power on highway above 2000 RPM (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Might just be the coolant sensor for engine management.
Cruiser's have two...the one closest to the front is purely for the gauge. The one you want is closest to the fire wall.
A deep 14mm socket helps, be gentle with the wiring.

PM going up and down and vehicle jerking . When applying gas slowly below 2000 RPM it rubs fine between 30-50 mph.

Sounds like a much more severe version of something I experienced. On long, uphill highway stretches I was losing power and felt a surging strong enough that I could feel the passenger seat shaking back and forth. No CEL.

I replaced the throttle position sensor with an NTK from RockAuto. Fixed the power and surge. Within two months, I start seeing an intermittent miss and got a CEL for the TPS. Replaced the NTK TPS with a used genuine Toyota TPS off eBay. No more problems. That was last summer.

Found my problem. Strainer was clogged and tank has a lot of sediment in it. Cleaned most of it but I need to drop the tank and wash it out. After a new strainer and cleaning out most of the sediment, it runs great.

20210702_191318.jpg

20210702_214009.jpg

20210702_214114.jpg

20210702_191445.jpg

Solved: Mine was moisture in the TPS

@Tony George did you figure out your problem? Mine just did the same and this is the first thread describing something that sounds that same.

Will rev smooth up to 2000-2200rpm, then falls to ~1400rpm, and if I leave the pedal in the same spot it will climb back up before it falls again. No jerky, rough or dirty feeling, just very simple like a feedback loop is resetting something.

I took a video because it is pretty interesting:
New video by Brad Pennington - https://photos.app.goo.gl/qkM7sfw7qpCqHDkh9

The only other weird thing is that after the dropping rpms fault happens it will idle real low at 200rpm, but then "relearns" and will idle back up to 600rpm if I let it sit a minute or two.

I got code 26 and 71.

I think @Squash nailed it with the ECT sensor (though mine seemed in resistance spec'ish) but I ordered new O2 sensors (also in spec'ish) as well since its been ~14 years, and a new fuel pump relay to appease @landtank

Boom goes the parts cannon!!

Lastly, @Fraidenburg I replaced my fuel pump, tank filter/strainer, fuel filter, etc a couple months ago as PM so I think this is a different issue unfortunately/fortunately (?)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom