92 losing clock and radio memory after sitting overnight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help after sitting overnight my radio and clock loses its memory any help only been happening for about a week my battery is good

My 92 does the same thing, but only if I let it sit for about a week and then crank it for a few seconds longer. The battery in mine is weak, though.

I suspect that there's a large capacitor inside the clock module that has failed some years ago. Thus, instead of holding the memory for 30 seconds or whatever, it can only hold on for 2-3 seconds.

My 92 does the same thing, but only if I let it sit for about a week and then crank it for a few seconds longer. The battery in mine is weak, though.

I suspect that there's a large capacitor inside the clock module that has failed some years ago. Thus, instead of holding the memory for 30 seconds or whatever, it can only hold on for 2-3 seconds.
Well my radio is a double DIN unit and it has a constant 12 volt go into it so it's not the radio its the Supply Power

The same capacitor inside the clock could also power the "memory" circuit inside the radio. If it only happens overnight you have a voltage sagging down or the clock+radio are defective.

No there not defective and the capacitor does not feed the radio im going to get my toyota manual scamatic out later and trace it out ill let you know what find so you can track down your problem too

Need some help after sitting overnight my radio and clock loses its memory any help only been happening for about a week my battery is good
Constant power to the clock/radio is from the dome fuse. Do your dome lights work?

This happened to me and it was the battery. It still started fine. The radio was the only symptom.

My guess is that the clock memory circuit requires a relatively healthy voltage (maybe 12.2 volts or something) to keep 'ticking' and even if the battery can put out the CA at a lower voltage it is still not sufficient.

@sea bass, have you measured the battery voltage? I know you say it is good, but what is the voltage?

My guess is that the clock memory circuit requires a relatively healthy voltage (maybe 12.2 volts or something) to keep 'ticking' and even if the battery can put out the CA at a lower voltage it is still not sufficient.

@sea bass, have you measured the battery voltage? I know you say it is good, but what is the voltage?
My volyage with ignition off is 12.4 v

Are you turning the radio on before you start it? I thought at first mine was losing memory overnight, but it was actually happening when I started it. If I turned on the radio before starting the car, it was fine. After I started the car, the radio presets were gone. I think the battery was just a little weak, so when you started the car, there wasn't enough juice to preserve radio presets.

Yeah my dome light circuit was acting up on mine too. Kept killin my clock and radio memory. I think I am gonna switch to LEDs and wire the radio memory and switched 12v direct to the battery. Since I will be running stuff to stick a CB in there anyway. This way I can isolate and trace dome issues. These issues did happen right now that we have been having lots of rain in Los Angeles so I figured something must have shorted out.

Are you turning the radio on before you start it? I thought at first mine was losing memory overnight, but it was actually happening when I started it. If I turned on the radio before starting the car, it was fine. After I started the car, the radio presets were gone. I think the battery was just a little weak, so when you started the car, there wasn't enough juice to preserve radio presets.
No my radio is off when i start it im still going over all connections trying to track it down

Hmm. Interesting. Maybe run a jumper from the battery to the contant 12v on the radio and let it sit overnight. If it still does it then it's the radio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom