92 - FJ80 overheating --Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was having overheating problems the temperature would climb continuously once I got onto the freeway I have replaced the radiator added electric fans and replace the thermostat still having same issue.
Shot the thermostat housing with a thermometer and it is reading 225 when it heats up.

Any ideas would help
Thanks

Check condition of radiator cap? Also, used to drive Fords, one had a flex-a-lite and it could not cool the radiator as effectively as the stock fan, had overheating issues until i went back to stock fan profile. Not to say that aftermarket fans are always bad, but seems like there's a fine line and potential for problems when deviating from stock engineering.

Why electric fan? The 3FE fan and Green hub fan clutch are legendary for cooling.

X2 on the radiator cap. I replace mine every few years (typically 2-3).

Why electric fan? The 3FE fan and Green hub fan clutch are legendary for cooling.

X2 on the radiator cap. I replace mine every few years (typically 2-3).

I replaced the radiator cap yesterday when I installed the new radiator and all 3 radiator hoses. The fan was installed 2 wks ago thinking it was the fan that was over heating I was told new fan produces more cfm

Sounds like the same pitch line i got.

There is not a better fan and fan clutch for the 3FE than the OEM fan and shroud with a green hub fan clutch.

Have you flushed your cooing system?

Yes, I flushed the cooling system yesterday..
We test drove it today and it stills over heats, once the needles is almost at the top, I turn off the AC and turn on the heater and it cools right down to normal temperature

Ditch the electric fan and go back to stock. Did you replace with right thermostat? Inserted properly? When flushed was it burped? Not sure about my 80 but with my 60 I think there were 2 different thermostats for it, one with higher temp. Also I had to burp system to get air out to avoid hot spots.

how long into the drive does it overheat? pretty much straight to it? if it's pegged, but drops around same time you turn ac off/heater on, could be unrelated - could be defective stat, one that is sticking. Stat ends up opening up, sort of by pure "thermodynamic force", but not at proper temp. I've gotten sucked down rabbit holes chasing symptoms that ended up being totally coincidental, so i ain't judgin' no one, just throwing it out there. Had an almost identical problem in a lincoln, running heater would reduce temp, but it ended up being a stuck stat after all.

I have electric fans in my 92 3FE, (not sure of the brand or CFM) but mine has never gotten over half on the gauge. Drove it in 95 degree heat today with the ac cranked the whole time.. not a problem.

... The fan was installed 2 wks ago thinking it was the fan that was over heating I was told new fan produces more cfm

Allow me to predict the future: Not enough fan, so the fan is converted to a pusher and a Taurus fan added, more wiring and sensor wizardry (rats nest). Not enough, so the fan is replaced with a Mark4, Volvo, Saab or whatever the fan of the day is. Then it's determined the electrical supply isn't up to speed, so alternator, wiring, battery, more controller/sensor "upgrades" ensue. By this time, the weather is cooling, looks like it's going to work.

Along about next June, it's determined a trip to Payson, for a day in the cool pines would be good. Climbing Mt Ord, somewhere about Sunflower Towing, the coolant pukes out, again. This is a well proven road to frustration, been there, oh, about a dozen times, feel free to shortcut it at anytime!:hillbilly:

There is no logical argument that ends with a rat nest of wiring, controller, sensors, motors being more robust, reliable than a simple, powerful belt driven fan. If you still have the stock clutch, and are near Mesa, feel free to stop by with it, will show you how or make it powerful for you.

I noticed coolant temps rising in mine as well over last year. Initially I attributed it to the ARB bumper and Lightforce driving lights, but yesterday with ambient temps of only 23C (73F), I was seeing scangage temps as high as 195C (221F) going up hills and an average of 93C (199F) on level ground. Me thinks the fan clutch has finally packed it in (300,000 plus kms). What say mud? Should I change fluid, get blue hub clutch, or Landtank modded one?

In an unmodified 3fe cooling setup, nearly all problems can be attributed to the thermostat / O ring. Is your thermostat OEM?

Could swear I covered all of this on this same topic yesterday to the same poster. Is this a second post for the same issue?

Not sure how I did 2 post with the same issue. My apologies everyone

7/26/2016 Update: New water pump.
The A/C was under charge, took it to a shop and he flushed & recharge the A/C.
Removed the Flex-E-lite fan and put old fan in with new clutch..Truck ran fine last night ☺, We though it was fixed........
This morning drove the truck around town for 30+min with AC on cold. Well, the cold air stared to feel warm and the temperature gauge stared to go up .. When I get home Saturday ill be checking the timing, spark plugs, tuneup

Thanks for all your help guys
Have a good wendsday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom