91 Steering box shaft seal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FSM for my 91 is out on loan and could not find a thread with any reference to this....soooo..... I think my steering box is leaking around where the steering shaft goes into the box. I've come to the conclusion after extensive inspection of the cooler, lines etc.... Fluid was coming down from a higher source which seems to be the back of the box... :confused:

Anybody know if in fact there is a seal at that point and/or had any experience first or second hand with that as a leakage point?

The input shaft does have a seal. That seal can leak. The only way to get that seal is with a Power steering gear seal kit. That will run you about a hundred bucks or so.

Yes, it is expensive. The other way to ge the seal is to buy a new steering gear. The option is over two thousand bucks.

Thank you Cdan.. Thought that was probably the case. I can even feel a little bit of play when tugging on the shaft a little.... 192k on the vehicle. I'll opt for the seal kit and the missing frame mount clamp someone left off the cooler hard lines. I'm going to assume I can slide the coupler back up the shaft splines for an r&r on the seal... but I'll get my fsm back and double check.

I cleaned everything up real nice for a reinspection of a fresh fluid trail, but almost certain it is that seal.

Actually thought about what you said about the "seal kit" Cdan, so I may just go ahead and do all the seals that come in the kit if I dont need any strange ssts to do the job. Luckily I have my own version of Cdan (Call him Cken) so I can get a good price on said kit. Thanks again for the advice! :cheers:

In order to work on the gear it will need to come out on the bench. Do not try to short cut it. If you do you may ruin a thousand dollar spool valve or the two thousand dollar gear. I'm not trying to intimidate you, just educate you.

D-

I gotta ask, because it happened to me...(but I'm sure you are smarter than me).... Have you recently put power steering fluid (as apposed to ATF) in the PS system? It will make the box leak exactly where yours is. There and the PS pump seals. I know from experience. After a quick education and PS flush and fill of ATF in the PS system, all leaks are gone.
I'm sure this isn't your problem, but just making sure....

Land Speeder... It looks like previous owner was running actual ATF as prescribed. I did siphon and flush and put in fresh fluid after a good cleaning to make sure that is where the leak is from. Maybe that'll help. I need to drive it some more and re check it. Removing the box entirely and rebuilding it is not out of the realm of possibility if it does continue to leak.

The new box and costs associated with it is not an option as it would cost almost as much as I paid for the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom