90k/180k/270k etc Service cost. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I probably should have asked this BEFORE doing off my 07 LC for the second 90,000 mile service, at 193,653 miles, but...

What has been the cost you have paid, at the dealership or other service center, for the 90,000 mile service?

I was quoted $1,075 plus tax for:
Timing belt
Drive belt
Water pump
Seals
Cabin air filter
Engine air filter

I got him to take $110 of that price since I can easily do the cabin and engine air filters for $28 in parts. Do I'll be out the four for ~$1,044.

After reading the FAQ linked threads on timing belt replacement I knew that job was not for me because of my lack of free time and expertise with such a complex and "high cost of failure" service. Also, since it's such a critical component and potential engine killer I don't really trust any one other than the dealer.

I plan to save my nickels and dimes over the life of the LC doing the easy 1-2 [banana] maintenance and repairs. This week I saved money by doing the drive line lubrication of the propeller shafts and spiders, rear differential drain and fill, transfer case drain and fill, and will do the front differential drain and fill next week. I'm also considering doing a transmission fluid drain and fill since I found a drain plug in the fluid pan (when I read the relevant section if the 2004 FSM the diagram never actually showed a drain plug, only a fill plug and an overflow, so I was not sure if there was a drain plug until I crawled under the truck for the first time last night.). I'll do brakes, maybe I'll tackle a suspension component or lift, in the next year I'll possibly try my hand at mounting am aftermarket bumper or two, but a timing belt, seems just too risky for me personally.

What has been the cost you have paid, at the dealership or other service center, for the 90,000 mile service?

Would you or have you allowed a non-dealer to do this service?

Thanks for your info and opinions.

I called one of the local lexus and toyota dealerships for a timing belt quote, surprisingly the lexus was cheaper. I don't recall the amount, but the lexus was cheaper by $100-$200, iirc around $700-$800. This included water pump.

Still haven't decided if I'm gonna DIY or pay someone, still have a few years to decide on the LX. LC has probably 5 years.

I paid around $1100 for both my 90k and 180k services, but both included timing belt tensioner, roller and idler and serpentine belt. Those are often not included in a basic 90k service and can add up quickly. My radiator hoses and T's are new, or I would probably have those changed too. If the quote doesn't include all that, you are probably overpaying. I had the work done at a Toyota-only independent.

The local Lexus dealer here in East TN quoted me ~$1100 for a 90k service when I was in for recall work. That was without a roller, idler, tensioner, or seals. Too much imo.

Edit: I notice you have an '07 model, and you mentioned seals in your description. I think the VVT-I engines require the cams to be removed to do camseals. I'd be surprised if they were planning on doing those, but maybe that's part of the quote.

I had ACC in Atlanta do my 180k and while I may have paid a little more I know that no stone was left unturned. They did all bearings and idlers, radiator hoses, brass heater Ts, plugs, fuel filter, plus all of the usual stuff while checking everything else. They are the only people I would trust to do it besides myself and I just couldn't find the time. I highly recommend them. They are probably top 5 in the USA when it comes to cruisers. They live their work.

Last edited:
I'm going to pick up my '07 LX470 from the Lexus dealer today here in Knoxville for timing belt, water pump, rollers, and serpentine belt. I'm paying $1180. I felt slightly violated when they quoted me that price, but it appears it's not too far off the going rate.

I had ACC in Atlanta do my 180k and while I may have paid a little more I know that no stone was left unturned. They did all bearings and idlers, radiator hoses, brass heater Ts, plugs, fuel filter, plus all of the usual stuff while checking everything else. They are the only people I would trust to do it besides myself and I just couldn't find the time. I highly recommend them. They are probably top 5 in the USA when it comes to cruisers. They live their work.
Moving to north Florida not that far to go whenever I need a major service thanks for the heads up

Moving to north Florida not that far to go whenever I need a major service thanks for the heads up
Check out their page in the vendor section Atlanta Custom Creations they work on a TON of cruisers.

Oh and let me know when you make the move, I'm around Valdosta only a few miles from the FLA-Ga line. Maybe we can get together sometime and hit some trails!

I ended up our the for $1,043 with tax. They did not do the seals because it's the VVTi engine. He inspected all the rollers and idlers and said they looked good. Said it was really great shape and most everything still looked new.

I like tools too much to have anyone else do the maintenance. Meaning that all Toyota parts for a full PM cost me around $600 which saved around $700 in labor cost by doing it myself. It literally took me a couple of weeks at my leisure, non-stressed and bought about $200 worth in specialty tools....so like 18 actual hrs. It's really not that hard just a big puzzle and you will really get to know your rig. But go with your gut feeling. Just wanted to share.

I was just quoted $1274.52 for timing belt, water pump, serp belt, and coolant by Lexus of Milwaukee. According to lexus.com it was done at 133,000 and I'm at 193,000 so I'll hold off for now, regardless.

I like tools too much to have anyone else do the maintenance. Meaning that all Toyota parts for a full PM cost me around $600 which saved around $700 in labor cost by doing it myself. It literally took me a couple of weeks at my leisure, non-stressed and bought about $200 worth in specialty tools....so like 18 actual hrs. It's really not that hard just a big puzzle and you will really get to know your rig. But go with your gut feeling. Just wanted to share.
That's the other reason I opted to have the dealer do the work, my 07 is my daily driver. If it was a third vehicle and I could work on it 3-4 hours a day, I would have loved to have tackled it. I'm very much a tool guy too! I just know that for a job that takes competent people 8-18 hours to accomplish at a leisurely pace, and that takes a Toyota Master Technician the better part of a day, would take me longer and I would get frustrated and angry when I couldn't reach certain bolts etc. My life is better for having them do the job :)

^ this. I opted to do it myself but after putting it back together i had a tooth out of alignment. Ran out of time and had to take it to my mechanic to finish. It was also $600 ish for all new OE parts. Would really like to have had this as my non DD so i can do more work on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom