90 Toyota Pickup Brake Issues Need Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I desperately need help with a bad problem with my 1990 toyota pickup 4x4 22re. I recently replaced my rear wheel bearings and once I got everything back together and had bled the brakes, I got into it to test drive to make sure everything was ok and go to press the brakes. I had to press the brake 80% until it even thought about stopping, and then when I got home to park the parking brake pulled out super easy until it maxed out and couldn't even hold the truck still. So, i thought my rear brake cylinders may have somehow failed during the bearing replacement, so I replaced both cylinders, bled the brakes, and then got back in to test drive and no difference was made in the braking, its still almost useless. And if anyone is wondering I bled in the backright, backleft, frontright, and leftfront order. Any type of advice and help with my problem would be amazing.

Get a manual before doing something you don't fully understand before you hurt yourself or do something worse. Brakes aren't something to f with if you don't understand every aspect. Any manual would have said to readjust the rear parking brake to where it has a slight resistance and leave it at that.

You need to adjust the shoes genius.

I agree, although I would not have said it so bluntly.

You will need to go back and adjust the rear brake shoes. Their adjustment is critical to brake pedal travel, as well as parking brake handle travel.

:wrench:

I bled my master cylinder and resolved some pedal issues. I remember on my 1978 Toyo Chinook 20r the brake pedal was firm and high. I believe the OP just wants this in their rig. For me the rear shoes adjustment is automatic when you go in reverse.Poking around the adjuster port can cause the little arm to fall off inside. I refuse to believe the low pedal is caused by the rear shoes. My belief is OP should test the brake booster via FSM and then when that's no help, put the booster under about 10 psi and see if it leaks. Autozone sells the boosters for my 1985 22re for $160 now.

Just so you know, this is kind of an older thread and the OP has not posted back.

. I refuse to believe the low pedal is caused by the rear shoes. My belief is OP should test the brake booster via FSM and then when that's no help, put the booster under about 10 psi and see if it leaks. Autozone sells the boosters for my 1985 22re for $160 now.

Misadjusted rear brake shoes can absolutely cause a low brake pedal. I have personally driven cars where the brake shoes were not adjusted after shoe replacement and the brake pedal travel goes pretty low. :eek: As soon as the rear brakes were adjusted, the pedal travel returned to normal. :D

The adjuster should not fall apart if installed correctly and working correctly. The procedure for adjustment is slightly different depending on what style rear brakes you have (2WD [Leading-Trailing, or Duo Servo] or 4WD)

Typically, failing brake boosters either result in little to no braking assist, leading to a really stiff brake pedal and less responsive brakes, and/or a failing booster can cause engine problems (surging) due to a large vacuum leak in the booster.

:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom