9/15/07 Sat Offroaders Ham Net (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to keep at it until we all master this ham thing and are enjoying global comm from our rigs :)
There is a lively discussion on expeditionportal.com about how we can improve this and if you look around there or here you will find my previous post on how to get on the net
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7882

It looks like Saturdays at 9pm Az time which is currently the same and MDT/PDT will be our default time until a change notice is made...that should help with the heat/busy days and if folks are checking in from a campsite then they are in rest & relax mode instead of trying to nav a trail at the same time.

Join in with other newbies and some experienced folks and use your ham radio to talk offroad stuff.

It looks like I might be able to connect through a node in Chiapas, MX this weekend. Can someone give me step by step how to connect instructions? I have an Icom 706MkIIG in the truck with a dual band mag mount Radiall/Larsen antenna. The HF is not yet connected.

VA7 CFW

It's so easy all you have to do is follow there simple instructions... ID youself, give your location and the location/node you wont to connect too and enter the node number on the keypad well still holding the PTT. wait for 5 - 10 seconds and if you did everything right you will hear a message play letting you know you are connected.

To end your call identify yourself and let others know you are dissconnecting the node and enter 73 well still holding the PTT. Again wait 5 - 10 seconds and you should here a message letting you know you are dissconnected...

And as always listen before talking. This process is also layed out with more details on the IRLP webpage. Hope to here you on the air

It's so easy all you have to do is follow there simple instructions... ID youself, give your location and the location/node you wont to connect too and enter the node number on the keypad well still holding the PTT. wait for 5 - 10 seconds and if you did everything right you will hear a message play letting you know you are connected.

To end your call identify yourself and let others know you are dissconnecting the node and enter 73 well still holding the PTT. Again wait 5 - 10 seconds and you should here a message letting you know you are dissconnected...

And as always listen before talking. This process is also layed out with more details on the IRLP webpage. Hope to here you on the air

So do I need a computer connected to the radio or do I need a mic with a keypad? I don't have either right now. Just the standard Icom 706MkIIG and mic.

So do I need a computer connected to the radio or do I need a mic with a keypad? I don't have either right now. Just the standard Icom 706MkIIG and mic.

No computer needed but you need to be able to enter DTMF codes... I don't know if you can program them into your memorys and use them that way or not... you will have to check your manual...

echolink uses your computer and the internet but I have not played with it yet and don't know if you are able to link into the IRLP system with it or not (from what I have read)

It looks like Saturdays at 9pm Az time which is currently the same and MDT/PDT will be our default time until a change notice is made...

Maybe I am dense, but MDT and PDT are two different time zones. Can you please clarify?

Is this 9pm PDT
or
is this 9pm MDT?

-B-

we in arizona have advanced beyond the need for your
primitive "daylight savings" ritual so right now we're
the same as PDT...

... and don't blame lance he's a forward slash dyslexic.

So....

Off-Roaders HAM net
Every Saturday beginning at 9PM PDT (~1hr)
IRLP Western Reflector node #9251

To connect to the Off-Roaders HAM net:
* Tune to the IRLP Western Reflector frequency in your area. (See www.irlp.net )
* Identify yourself (callsign)
* Give your location and the IRLP node (9251)
* Enter the node number on the keypad while pressing PTT
... wait for 5-10 seconds for a confirmation message

To end your IRLP connection:
* Identify yourself (callsign)
* Let others know you are disconnecting from the node
* Enter 73 while pressing PTT
… wait 5-10 seconds for a confirmation message.

Always listen before talking. The above process is described in detail on the IRLP webpage.

(Do I have this correct?)

-B-

Maybe I am dense, but MDT and PDT are two different time zones. Can you please clarify?

Is this 9pm PDT
or
is this 9pm MDT?

-B-

PDT = Pacific Daylight (Savings) Time
MDT = Mountain Daylight (Savings) Time

PST = Pacific Standard Time
MST = Mountain Standard Time

Some places like Arizona have not discovered that you can adjust your clock though!

Also some of Latin America does not always go onto daylight savings time because there is no difference in the amount of daylight throughout the year. Here in Guatemala it's almost always light at 6-6:30 in the morning and it's dark by 6:30-7:00 in the evening year round.

PDT = Pacific Daylight (Savings) Time
MDT = Mountain Daylight (Savings) Time

PST = Pacific Standard Time
MST = Mountain Standard Time

I understand the difference. He said the time was 9pm MDT/PDT.

As clarified above, the time is 9pm PDT which is 10pm MDT where I live.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom