8th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 12-17 Silverton, Colorado* (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi all, I'm debating on taking camping trailer or lodging. I can't find anything in Silverton closest is Durango. Is anyone staying in Durango? Would that be too much of back and forth to do every day you think?

Super excited to see everyone!

If you're still thinking of lodging, Ouray is closer than Durango. That's much more doable for daily treks to/from Silverton.

Josh is a hell of a trail leader. I highly suggest you get a run or three in with him leading.

I think Josh is the day 2 Black Bear trail leader; as a first timer I love reading these kinds of endorsements!

How do we link up with our trail leaders each morning? Are there drivers meetings before each run?

Getting pretty excited about meeting up with everyone next week!

How do we link up with our trail leaders each morning? Are there drivers meetings before each run?

Every trail run has a defined meeting location and time. The trail leader will muster the people who show up at the right time and place prior to departure so folks have a general idea of what to expect, know what CB channel to be on, etc.

The entrance off 69 was well marked (BIG brown sign that says "Great Sand Dunes National Park - Medano Pass). 559 is the actual road number for the pass itself. If coming from the south via Walsenburg, the turn is about 9 miles north of Gardner. If coming from Westcliffe, the turn is about 24 miles south. The primitive road itself isn't well marked (no signs anywhere until the top). But, there are no turn-offs to speak of.

Medano Pass Primitive Road - Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

Maybe the conditions will change and open the roads back up... i would love to hit medano pass with some 100's... i live near the pass and could possibly miss work to run the pass with you... i'm not registered for HIH but i have been meaning to get there this year

The sched app or website tells you the who/where to meet and also CB channel for each trail you signed up for. Of course things can and sometimes do change...but last year, I think the only that changed for what we signed up for was a CB channel on the last day.

MAN I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!

The sched app or website tells you the who/where to meet and also CB channel for each trail you signed up for. Of course things can and sometimes do change...but last year, I think the only that changed for what we signed up for was a CB channel on the last day.

MAN I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!

Aaah, got it. Looks like I'm meeting up with my groups at the Conoco everyday except Monday.

Friendly reminder..... don’t fill up your gas all the way... only about 3/4 of a tank to prevent the boiling over and potential vapor lock.

Right. And contrary to popular belief, it’s not necessary to loosen your fuel filler cap up on the high passes to vent the tank. The truck’s vapor recovery system will handle it. I just leave my truck running for the few minutes we are out taking pics.

Unless, of course, you enjoy the smell of raw fuel and like to see gas spray out and down the side of your truck. :eek:

Have you guys seen the stock rear mudflaps get damaged on any of these trails?

I got the mudflap deletes but haven't installed them yet. Wondering if it's needed for this trip or if it can wait. I got so much other stuff that needs to be done aside from that.

I got the mudflap deletes but haven't installed them yet. Wondering if it's needed for this trip or if it can wait. I got so much other stuff that needs to be done aside from that.

Nope. Running stock with 33’s. I hear them rubbing, but no damage. They are flexible.

I’d be leery. @DanInDenver sleep walks a bit and will remove them from your rig. Fair warning.

I tore one of mine off but can't recall if it was here or somewhere else. Now that I have my BIOR rear bumper I don't have any mudflaps so I don't need to worry about it.

Aaah, got it. Looks like I'm meeting up with my groups at the Conoco everyday except Monday.

I am sure this will be covered, but the roads that surround Conoco are actually a couple city streets... the Sherrif got kinda sandy on us one morning a couple years ago when we turned that into a parking lot. so just stick to the sides, so a couple cars can get through that's all.

Bring them along. They can be swapped at camp in 10'. None of the cool kids are running OEM mud flaps anyway :)

X2. I literally spent all of two minutes per side doing these and they've been very worth it. Bring them to camp if you don't get to it before. Somebody will let you borrow the 1 tool necessary to change them. Unless you are like me and literally every screw had a different head :bang:

Haha cool that’s good to know. Thanks guys!

So another question that I don’t think has been covered or maybe I missed it but if we are in these long trail rides all day and someone needs to use the bathroom, what do you guys do in that case?

So another question that I don’t think has been covered or maybe I missed it but if we are in these long trail rides all day and someone needs to use the bathroom, what do you guys do in that case?

+1, my worry since signing up is our little one. If we have to take a long break to calm a frazzled baby or change a diaper blowout I don't want to make the entire crew wait.

so just to give a small glimmer of good news...yesterday evening in canon city, co... which is a ways from where you all are headed, i got over 2" of rain in a matter of a few hours... it was almost too much too fast but i ain't complaining... every pond and gulley are filled with water...

let the monsoon season begin please!!!

The trail rides stop frequently for photos and bio breaks. Everyone is empowered to stop the convoy if there is a bathroom emergency or any kind of emergency for that matter. I do my best as a trail leader to never pass up an opportunity to stop and offer people to go when we pass some sort of toilet or port-a-potty. There will be a few occasions where you'll have to find a bush and my ladies have been known to have me open both doors on one side of the cruiser and hold up blanket while they lean against the rocker and pee. A few folks are also likely to be carrying around a portable, folding toilet for those extreme emergency situations. And of course the last resort would be a Bumper Dumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom