'89 FJ62 fuel vapor collector line to engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I purchased this truck the plastic fuel vapor collector in the back was missing and the PO had taken all the vent lines and "t" them all together. One of the "t"s had an open end and of course fuel vapor vented into the interior. I've since purchased and installed the OEM plastic collector. There are 4 larger hoses coming up into the bottom of it and a smaller one that comes off the top and I've been told goes to the engine compartment, through a charcoal canister and into the intake manifold.

My issue is that the gas tank now presurizes (swoosh when I remove gas tank cap). I tried blowing down the smaller vent line assuming that it should pass air pressure if it's going into the intake. It appears to be clogged.

Can someone tell me what all these vent lines do, including the small one and give me some troubleshooting tips to track down this vapor pressure issue? The upside is I no longer have a raw fuel smell inside the vehicle!!

Thanks,
Bri

I’ve read in a few posts that the excess vapors should travel up through a charcoal canister and then vent into intake manifold. But I’m not sure hence the post to see what is proper.

a short fix is to swap the intake and outtake hoses on top of the vapor canister. the ball inside the value gets gummed up after 30+ years. i swap the hoses and no more pressure or gas smell. ended up just leaving it that way a few years ago.

Can the canister be cleaned? Or only replaced? Be gentle-I’m new….

All the hoses just funnel into that one hose that goes to the canister.

Pressure will release through the canister at a certain PSI.
And tank vacuum pulls air from the fuel cap at a certain PSI.

I would follow the FSM and first try and blow some air through the canister and making sure the lines aren't clogged. All easy stuff. Most likely that will fix it.
Some pressure in the tank is normal though, it's doing what it's supposed to do.
I have a 40 gal tank and on a hot day, it's constantly purging through the canister.

FJ Silver-thanks for the ideas. I've blown air through the canister and it passes air. I'm going to do a de-smog in the next month and will most likely take the canister apart and see if it needs a clean-362K miles-I'm sure it does!

BK

FJ Silver-thanks for the ideas. I've blown air through the canister and it passes air. I'm going to do a de-smog in the next month and will most likely take the canister apart and see if it needs a clean-362K miles-I'm sure it does!

BK
Great! 362K...incredible.
Easiest would probably be to replace it with a cheap aftermarket canister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom