89 FJ-70 Antenna Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj62turd

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Fellow Forum Experts! I have found that my antenna cable was cut and the PO left the broken end still attached to the POS single DIN radio from Columbia. I have since replaced the head unit and need to completely replace the antenna. It appears that I may have to remove the drivers side front fender to get to the antenna. There is no way to reach the antenna from the engine bay that I can tell. Pictures are below. I also downloaded a few FSMs but neither mention the antenna removal and replacement procedures.

Anyone know how to get to this thing? I already ordered the antenna from UAE Megazip so before I take the time and trouble to remove the fender, I would appreciate any words of wisdom?

Thanks for your comments!

IMG_0354.jpeg

IMG_0352.jpeg

IMG_0353.jpeg

Ha, not much fun. You got small hands? If so you can reach up from the bottom of the front fender and firewall to try and snake the new cable through the body and bolt the brace on. You will need to remove this bolt too first to remove the old one. Better wear a long sleeve shirt for abrasion/cutting protection. You can look from the gap at the rear of the fender and the firewall if you open the door to see what's all there and where and maybe find the one bolt you have to remove, I'm pretty sure it's a 10mm.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately my hands are closer to Shrek than Fiona. I'll take a look from under the fender as you suggested and see. I may recruit someone with less bulk than I.

There is also the option of soldering on a new plug, and using a antenna extension cable if it's too short.
Good luck.
The current antenna cable was cut about 6 inches from the shaft. I can barely grab the cable with my hand. Some POs are just cheap and shady. I guess I’m on the other end of the spectrum. I’ve got to replace the whole thing. I wish the fender didn’t have to come off but i don’t see a way around it.

I replaced the antenna on my fj73 years ago, and I don't remember much about how I did it, but I didn't remove the fender.
Watch out for those leaves in the hood hinge hole, you don't want rust in there.
cheers.

I replaced the antenna on my fj73 years ago, and I don't remember much about how I did it, but I didn't remove the fender.
Watch out for those leaves in the hood hinge hole, you don't want rust in there.
cheers.
I did the same. It was a bastard but I did it without removing the fender..
Best mod I did was plug the antennae hole and run a longer cable to the bullbar with a rubber ducky antennae fixed to it next to my 40ch CB.

It appears that I may have to remove the drivers side front fender
That is the left hand side. Half of us have RHD and half have LHD.
Unfortunately my hands are closer to Shrek than Fiona.
My hands were used in the Incredible Hulk movies. I did it somehow about 15 years ago. Its possible i came from inside. I seem to remember having the door open. I might have been looking through the holes you can see with the door open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom