'88 FJ62 whats a Code 45? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Code 45 is coming up on my '88 FJ62. Its not listed in my Haynes.
It wont start, the AT Oil Temp light is on even tho it has not been driven.
Turn the key and all I hear is a click. No engine crank, nothing.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

No code 45 in the '89 FSM :meh:

Did you jump the two terminals to get the code to blink out? You're sure it's 45?

Yep. Jumped the 2 plugs, turned key to run, check light went :
blink pause blink x 4 pause blink x 5 pause blink pause and repeat.
No ideas at all? If not, I'll try clearing the memory and test again.
Also tried calling a dealership, techs were all off and the guy "couldn't read the manual" 'cos it "wasn't his job".

You may want to check the "neutral safety switch" located on the passenger side face of the transmission. It is a bolt-on mechanism to the side of the tranny that when disengaged will not allow the cruiser to start...no sound at start up at all. Make sure it is snug against the tranny and not loose.

If you hear a click when you turn the key, make sure your battery is not dead. The AT Temp light coming on when you turn on the key is normal. It should go off after the engine starts. The 88 FSM does not list a code 45 either.

Replaced the neutral switch about a year ago.
I did have a starting problem - engine would crank but not start - that was diagnosed as a faulty fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump, started right up, then cold wet weather hit and I had the same problem again. This time it was diagnosed as possible stuck relay - either main or fuel pump. I tried to wait for it to happen again and try tapping the relays then crank it, but the problem never cropped up again and now its warm and dry. Now there's this new problem.
I cleared the EFI memory and now its blinking out 51 - switch condition. Is there a way to test all the switches? (A/C circuit, amplifier, Neutral Switch, Throttle Pos Sensor, ECM) that wont cost an arm and a leg going to a dealer? Or should I just start replacing one switch after another?

oh, and I don't think its the neutral switch. I put the gear shift in neutral and the h2 l4 shifter in neutral as well. Still no change. Battery meter reads in the green.

oh, and I don't think its the neutral switch. I put the gear shift in neutral and the h2 l4 shifter in neutral as well. Still no change. Battery meter reads in the green.

If the neutral safety switch is out of place, it will not matter what gear you are in. I tried the same thing and two days later discovered the switch was out of alignment. Your problem sounds a little more quirkier than mine.

OK - got it sorted out. MIKE thanks for the tip "check the starter". I checked it, but not the way the Haynes says. I checked the, what do you call it? HWH switch ... Hit it With a Hammer .... while an assistant turns the key. It started right up. Now I need to drive around with an assistant and a hammer...or I guess I could pull the starter and see if I can fix it.
Thanks for the help!

That's probably the contacts in the starter. Look in the FAQ section, there is a thread on replacing them. The tapping with the hammer to get it going is a classic symptom of that.

If you still have the code 51 after you get the starting issues figured out, it could be the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is out of adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom