85' can you get away with 2"lift and stock steering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up an 85' today, I am taking it to moab at the end of the month so this must be a QUICK budget build, It is ALL stock, thinking of: 2" lift 33 or 35's weld the rear diff and run a baseline on the drivetrain and GO! Hey, it is a one owner rust free truck for next to nothing! couldnt pass it up. I had a 4" lifted 85 with a drop dralink and it' steering was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! How easy is it to toss on power steering if you have all the parts? thanks!

you can put 2" springs on there without modifying the steering.

Gotta have at least 35" tires

Weld that diff!

So you have the P/S pump and brackets, P/S gear, HY-Steer, and the gear truss kit?

you can do it in less than 3 hours if your a good welder

I used to run 2" springs, and 1.5" lift shackles with 35's on my 85 4runner. The springs were horrible stiff, but it worked. I cracked drag link ends every 2 trips, so come prepared with spares. A spare J arm isn't a bad idea either.

I ended up ditching my 35's for 31's until I did transfer case gears. With stock gears and 35's, I had to slip the clutch far too much to get it to move, and going downhill because a dangerous affair.

I'd weld the rear diff, and run it in Moab as is. You can still do MANY MANY trails there with 31's.

Thanks for the replies, No I dont have an x-over kit yet, was going to toss on pwr steering (stock push pull) for moab, but maybe I should strong arm it untill I get an IFS box and x-over and do it all at once.

I ran stock push pull steering on my 85 for years without problems, with 2.5" Old Man Emu springs. I've since gone to a crossover setup, but if you aren't beating on it you should do fine.

I would recommend carrying a spare drag link and driver's side J arm - let me know if you need these parts. I might have them in a box somewhere and I'd sell them cheap.

Allan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom