84-88 Brake Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
I have questions - not answers - but figured I'd use a thread title that'd help the future versions of me as they search for answers.

My '84 Pickup needs some brake love. The booster was replaced with a new, stock booster right when I got it - the old one was done. But after driving the truck for 1,000 miles or so, it's clear more is needed.

Issues:
  • The classic pulse/vibration that screams rotors
  • Locks up the rear tires with very little pedal

First order of business is pulling the rotors and pads. If the rotors are trashed and the pads are a glazed mess, well maybe that's the only issue. If the rears are good, and I'm pushing the pedal hard to get the fronts to grab, that could be the cause of the rears locking up. Maybe. Also, my current trayback is lighter than an OE bed... but not that much lighter. Maybe.

The searching I've done leads to:
  • Calipers, master cylinder and booster from a '90s V6 4Runner/Truck
  • Rear wheel cylinders from an FJ60 circa '85
Credit to @Toast on those

Big subjective question: For a light Pickup on 33s, how important is ^that^ upgrade? Will a refreshed stock setup be good enough?

For the V6 4Runner parts... do I want 1990-1995 or 1996-2004?

Thanks!

Last edited:
This is what I am using on my 85 4runner
fj-60 rotors
fj-80 master cylinder
92 v6 booster
92 v6 calipers (4 large piston)
92 4x4 rear axle with stock 92 drums

there is also a 1st gen tacoma caliper upgrade that uses 86-95 hubs( spaces out solid axle 3" without spacers) grinded a bit to fit tacoma rotors with flip mounted tacoma calipers or something like that. (allows for rotor removal without hub removal) at least one company makes a basic kit that mounts the caliper a little better than diy method

Last edited:
FJ60 rotors.
V6 calipers 1990-ish
V6 brake master
V6 booster
Factory rear with proportion rod.

If your truck still has the original narrow rear axle the FJ60 wheel cylinders won't work. Those only work on 86-95 rear axles, I think.

aisinaftermarket.com has the right part number for Aisin/Advics rear wheel cylinders for your axle.

Thanks guys! Upgrade on the way.

Last edited:
Do you guys consider this upgrade (already in the works) to be a "nice to have" or more of a "gotta have" with 33s?

When I had Patch ('84 Xacb) I went with the V6 calipers and the FJ60 rotors, and left the stock m/c and booster in service. I bought it on 31's because the PO was a poor college student, but he'd set it up (when he was flush) for 33's which I soon put on it. Based on first driiving the truck on 31's and then 33's I would call that change a mandatory one, BUT the pedal feel was never very confidence inspiring and I doubt that very many would be happy with it. Then I bought the '88 V6 4rnnr that came with the suggested combo. Pedal feel is awesome. Stopping performance is as good or better than Patch's was even if we adjust for the 4rnnr being on 31's. If you don't go to rear discs I'd strongly suggest changing over to the IFS type rear drum brakes.

One difference between mine and pappy's set-up is that I found that with the truck that I could disconnect the LSPV lever and wire it fully up and rarely lock the rear brakes. I still got exceptional mileage out of the rear brakes, which leads me to think that there was still some braking performance available that wasn't easily accessed.

I eventually made a plate that held it all of the way up and cut off the lever. It had some adjustment should it had become needed, but even running w/o the tall bedshell on it barely made a case for adjusting it.

i-GNFBVBp.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom