82 fj60 looses power going up hills (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i'll take a photo this evening and post it here for you with the part circled for ease of use.

This thread is REALLY old, but I must say - this post saved me a ton of headaches! Thank you!

:beer::beer::beer:

The torque rod is the one that lives between a hanger at the top of the firewall and the carb base bracket. It should be installed so the short arm is receiving the push up from the gas pedal and the long arm is applying push to the carburetor.

Clear like mud, yes? :)

You have a point. The inclines are milder here, to be sure. My point of reference remains what I was experiencing before we flipped the torque rod. Secondly, I just finished a road trip from Jackson to Flagstaff, AZ (I'm from AZ). We made multiple climbs heading across New Mexico and into AZ. The truck was carrying four guys and was overloaded with gear and mountain bikes dangling from the rear. In this state it wasn't doing 70 up hills, but I don't ever recall it being a sluggish turd either. My 2f now has 160k and is in good tune and condition. I was rather surprised at how well it did, considering how much I've heard to the contrary. How to explain this? I find myself in agreement with Doug Grahams sentiments. It doesn't appear that 60s are supposed to "creep" uphill.

bh

backing up a fellow arizonian here my 89 does not putt putt up a hill here in arizona expecially going from phx to flagstaff which is some steep hills. Though it ias the 'WEAKEST' of cars out there since its a 89, but it does make it hahaha...as someone mentioend its only 125hp nothing to get excited about....the torque is 200 or so which is nice.

I'm thinking about buying a 82 fj60. however, when you drive up hill it looses power. it doesn't cut out, it still runs but it just creeps along. the owner says 2 different mechanics have looked at it, and can't find anything wrong. any ideas?
thanks

Also check if your second stage does open! The diaphragm activated 2nd stage is defunct if the diaphragm is torn. Also check your ignition timing and advance and double check on the HAC valve hosing as well as all other vac hosing.

The cool thing about this is, this acts as a governor for when my teenager drives it. Perfect!

That's because it's a FJ60, and it only has 125 horsepower (new from the factory) and it's pulling about 5000 pounds. :D

my '87 250,000 mi+ original engine31" tire and 4:10, can do 65-70 mph up on a grapevine,ca.
DSCN1221.JPG
DSCN1054.jpg

dorcom said:
Also check if your second stage does open! The diaphragm activated 2nd stage is defunct if the diaphragm is torn. Also check your ignition timing and advance and double check on the HAC valve hosing as well as all other vac hosing.

A few days late, but I'll second the vac hose check. Check EVERY vacuum hose in there for correct routing and condition. It makes a difference!

This thread is REALLY old, but I must say - this post saved me a ton of headaches! Thank you!

:beer::beer::beer:

I was so excited when I actually found this post in trying to sort out my own "lack of power" problems with my '85 FJ60. I wasn't expecting a sports car, but slow on the freeway... Crawling up hills... I was seriously struggling to console myself in thinking that this was perfectly fine :steer: But this torque rod fix was a proud moment in finding the joy cruisin'. For those of us that may have been unfamiliar with this linkage between the firewall and the carb. Here is a pic I snapped when I did the exhaust manifold gasket. Repeating which way to install...make sure that the long arm is closest to the carb, and that the short arm is at the firewall. Torque rod out... and then installed
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg

I bought my FJ60 4 years ago with 98k and I always thought going up hills at 35mph was normal. The truck has always run perfectly or so I thought..it wasn’t until 12 hours into a west coast trip from LA to OR that it dawned on me that someone might have had this problem before. Fortunately I found this forum and just as promised when I popped the hood the rod was installed backwards. I took it to a local mechanic explained the diagnosis and sure as s*** 15 minutes later I had an entirely different truck! We cruised the final 400 miles on the highway at 65mph and passed everything including the gas stations. What. A. Trip. Thank you all so much.

I know this thread is old but just wanted to say thank you to everyone and their input on this thread.

Just put on my rebuilt carb @65swb45 did for me and still felt like my secondary wasn’t opening right (and I knew Mark’s work wasn’t the issue). Low and behold, at some point someone had flipped my linkage as well. That was the most effective and efficient 15 min I have spent on my rig lol…I love being able to pass cars on the highway again!

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the torque rod and where it is in relation to the carb,
I'm digging through other threads to put it together.

The way my brain works, Labeling pics out of other people's threads is the best way to wrap my head around it.
I'm going to post those here in the hope it helps others. Did I get this correct?

Just to be clear, it's this part, the long tab needs to be at the carb and the shorter tab at the firewall

1692803714571.png

In situ, it looks like this, short tab near firewall, pointing inboard (away from break master)

1692805258272.png

Long tab towards carb, pointing inboard (towards brake master/ away from carb)

1692805008813.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom