82 fj40 factory fitted 5 speed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im located in australia and have just purchased a 11/82 fj40.

Its fitted with a 5 speed h55f gearbox. Ive never seen a 40 come with a 5 speed.

Did the later 40s come with 5 speeds? Also what year did toyota stop releasing them in australia?

Any information will be much appreciated.
cheers

don't quote me and all markets were different specs but my understanding is only LX models came out with a factory H55F 5 speed someone will advise if that's not correct, my 40 has one but its been retro fitted by a previous owner

Believe of some BJ42s in Canada that had five speeds and not LX models. Five speed were available in the 4X series starting with the 83 model (10/82?). In general the 4X series ended with the 84 model. Some were made in to 86 in Japan but we're not the short wheel base. The long wheel I know was one of the longer running models but also the rarest to find a five speed. While rare short wheel base was the most common to have a five speed. And like mentioned most were in LX models. I've searched for the five speed with 4X series top cover for a very long time with no luck in the US. Those that do show up require taking out a mortgage. Thought I had one location doing a trade. Doing my homework realized it was coming out of a HJ47 and highly unlikely to be a five speed. Still hoping someone in Australia will have a rare early part I have and locate a top cover off a five speed to trade. But as I get older that hope is dwindling.

Last edited:
The lx with 3 wipers , 5 speed and other neat stuff(like mother in law hanging out side window) came out 1 year before the normal model with a 5 speed. The lx had the 83+ dash 1 year before others did.

The lx with 3 wipers , 5 speed and other neat stuff(like mother in law hanging out side window) came out 1 year before the normal model with a 5 speed. The lx had the 83+ dash 1 year before others did.

I have never found any part listing prior to the 83 model for a five speed. Earliest I've seen was 10/82. I have seen the insert dash on 82s. Those were all RHD. Didn't realize it was only LX models. I thought it was certainly markets.

I'm curious if the 4X series with a five speed have a 3F bellhousing? 10/82 the floor changed on all models. The inspection cover was raised for a taller transmission. Shifter boots changed for both transmission and transfer case. The H41 shift cane changed so the boot from the taller H55F could be used on both four and five speeds.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. When i went to pick it up i knew it was a late 82 model because of the dash centre. Was in for a nice suprise when i seen the 5 speed, Has factroy ac aswell only if it had ps. :)

Heres some photos
IMG_20170522_122213_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170522_122240_HDR.jpg

that’s awesome I need to come get a troopy one day. My brother lived over there for a while and loved it.

That will be my next project i think as well, most likely 5 years or so down the track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom