80-Series Swap Engine from 3F to 1VD-FTV (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have Land Cruiser 1991 80-Series, my project plan is to Swap the Engine from (3F) to 1VD-FTV Single Turbo V8 4.5 Diesel so I would like to take your advice in this setup

FYI. I have 5 speed manual transmission

Is there any swap kit for my project

It's really strange! as I search a lot and couldn't find any related information, no one did this swap engine (1VD-FTV) for the 80-Series !!! ??? :confused:

looking for your feedback and advice with thanks

Ahmed

My 80S.jpg

My 80-S.jpg

If you can't find info anywhere online, it may be the first or within the first few times it would be attempted. Be ready to reinvent the wheel and solve all problems yourself with possibly a touch of help of some members.

I wish you luck.

I have Land Cruiser 1991 80-Series, my project plan is to Swap the Engine from (3F) to 1VD-FTV Single Turbo V8 4.5 Diesel so I would like to take your advice in this setup

FYI. I have 5 speed manual transmission

Is there any swap kit for my project

It's really strange! as I search a lot and couldn't find any related information, no one did this swap engine (1VD-FTV) for the 80-Series !!! ??? :confused:

looking for your feedback and advice with thanks

Ahmed

View attachment 2506403

View attachment 2506409

Most of the members here are US based and didn't get that or any other cruiser diesel engine as an option. So that would be why swaps are rare on the board. Ive seen one swapped into a tundra locally but haven't seen one in a cruiser here.

I have seen one swapped into a cruiser in a video from Australia though.

Its been done and documented albeit I dont have a link. Sounded like a nightmare project body lift, wiring, steering column too much for me....

It'll be quite some work. I believe Toyota had to modify the 70 series when they switched to the 1VD engines.

I've seen one documented example in Australia in to a 100, none into an 80. Here's a video:

This chap now has a 200 series (documented on youtube) so make of that what you will.

LS or H series diesel is much easier and more achievable.

The 1VD is wider than a Chevy Duramax. There's some serious real estate issues but it could be done.

The 1VD is wider than a Chevy Duramax. There's some serious real estate issues but it could be done.
He it’s wider then a duramax, then I doubt it can be done easily. I’m swapping a duramax into my 80 series and it has been a nightmare. Just a huge engine...

I tried doing that exact swap (I have 2x 1VDs sitting in my garage)....

The killer is the width, soooo much fabrication and modification required and to be honest I think the 1HD-FTE is a better engine than the 1VD. So seems like a lot of work to shoehorn a 1VD when a 1HD is a much easier swap and the better choice

He it’s wider then a duramax, then I doubt it can be done easily. I’m swapping a duramax into my 80 series and it has been a nightmare. Just a huge engine...
The DOHC gives the VD a very 'deep' cylinder head if that makes sense

At the shop so put a tape on both 80 and post 07 70-series.

I was wrong thinking the 70 is wider, it looks it but it is not. 80 is 55.5” wide and 70 is 53.5” wide. Depth front to back is 36” for the 80 and 37.5” for the 70.

Height is curiously similar however the 70 the body at the front frame rails is 8” off the body from the factory and the 80 .75”.

Cheers

I've seen one documented example in Australia in to a 100, none into an 80. Here's a video:

This chap now has a 200 series (documented on youtube) so make of that what you will.

LS or H series diesel is much easier and more achievable.

Edit - He has a 300 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom