80 series oil question revisited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so after the oil light coming on yesterday for the wife I checked everything out when I got home and all looks good. I go to take the 80 for a spin and the battery is dead. Kids left both the side doors open and the wife left the lights on ::)

No big deal, jumped it with the 60. So, just talked to the wife again on the phone. She was driving our daughter to school again and the light came on AGAIN at the exact same place she was last time. Only came on for a split second. She was about a mile from the house turning a fairly sharp 25mph bend in the road. ODD!

Should I just let this go, or should I be concerned about it?

Well,

It's evident that the event can be duplicated. You may try that stretch of road yourself to see what YOU get. If the oil level is truly full, you may have a bad oil level sensor. The sensor is an 89491-60010, list is $312.23. A smart shopper could probably find one for around 235 bucks.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=5105;start=msg39389#msg39389 date=1063123009]
Well,

It's evident that the event can be duplicated. You may try that stretch of road yourself to see what YOU get. If the oil level is truly full, you may have a bad oil level sensor. The sensor is an 89491-60010, list is $312.23. A smart shopper could probably find one for around 235 bucks.
[/quote]

Well, hopefully I don't need it. If I do, maybe I could find some cool guy that works for Toyota that could help me shop smarter ;)

moms 97 has done this once or twice, it was only 1qt low. Dang OP guage on the 93-97 scares the crap out of me, it way high when running then at idle it's way low....I like my 2f/3fe.....it moves but not nearly as much and never as low.

Johhn

Shees pimp, now ya can't even spell yer name :flipoff2:

The light in my 97 beater comes on anytime it's a qt low. If it's changed regularly,then it would never be low. :flipoff2:

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=5105;start=msg39423#msg39423 date=1063130592]
moms 97 has done this once or twice, it was only 1qt low. Dang OP guage on the 93-97 scares the crap out of me, it way high when running then at idle it's way low....I like my 2f/3fe.....it moves but not nearly as much and never as low.

Johhn
[/quote]

My OP guage does this too. I guess it's a Toyota thing :-\

My light comes on when I'm exactly one qt low.

Been told several times that the oil pressure sending unit on the 80 ain't worth replacing - bad location and piece of dung. Dunno fer sher, buut, me tinks El paz un dat wun wheeen aiz c et. :flipoff2:

As I posted on the other oil light post, Take apart the oil level sensor and see if the float can slide on the shaft or go up and down. Clean it and give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom