80 Series Fuel Tank Replacement Part 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, picking up on Full Fuel Tank Replacement.

61455156615__8DA5BD33-EBC1-463E-8E05-1B38DB0A4CB4.jpeg

10. Decided to really tighten up any rust under the truck. But it was weird. It seem like the Tank was a Rust Donor Sacrifice. Body behind tank was pristine, so I used a Truck Bed Poly Urea Coating to spray on the body before I put a new tank in.

11. So, the PITA part was getting all the body mounts off on the driver side to lift the body to replace the small tank strap. I could have just backed the strap bolt with a new Nut, but I would have know it was not perfect! So here is the new strap.

12. After trying to put the new tank in with drive shaft in place, realized I needed to remove the rear attachment and bungee out of the way.

13. Realized it was going to be a ordeal to set up the truck in the garage to lift the body on driver side and lift the truck frame enough to slip the tank in all with just one floor jack.

14. Flat Bed fully prepped truck to our amazing local Wellesley Toyota dealer who is super friendly to Land Cruiser owners and has a very experience Land Cruiser mechanic on site (Phil).

15. Phil uses cool multiple lift system to lift body and truck to replace the little front tank strap and slip in the tank and bolt it all up.

16. Fill thank and Drive!

So, I think the moral of the story if you don't want to lift the body and need to access a lift system or have 4 hydraulic jacks, is be careful with the little front driver side tank strap bolt. If you snap it off, it creates a LOT more work than just popping out the tank.

NOTE, it seems that the Rubber Body Mounts for the Series 80 are unobtainium. So don't mess them up! I have since ordered and received all new Body Mount Bolts, sleeves, washers and nuts (all in stock from Toyota N.A. dealers) So, if I need to "pop" the body up again (e.g., to replace fuel filler neck which is looking ugly), it should be a quick one.

IMG_1725.jpeg

IMG_1477.jpeg

IMG_1503.jpeg

I just realized how the photo limit is handled. I need to reply to my own thread, Sorry, I will combine these two threads tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom