80 Series Dakota Digital/Aftermarket Gauge Cluster mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Website
www.thelandcruisershop.com
We're launching a new product that may or may not be of interest to the 80 Series community.

We really have come to like the ease of installation, huge library of sensors & adapters, and customization options from Dakota Digital. We use their VHX & HDX clusters almost exclusively on both our FJ40 Restorations and Rewires. We also like how nicely the system plays with Fuel Injection/GM signals, including accepting signals from a Stand-Alone ECM/TCM like the Holley Terminator X.

Wiring, adapting the tachometer, gear position indicator, cruise control, etc can be a bit of a pain with an LS swap in an 80 series.

We decided to make a mount that would allow you to run a Dakota Digital (or any other aftermarket gauge setup) that would help cut down on the amount of time reading through factory pin out and wiring diagrams, and money spent on thread pitch adapters, tachometer signal converters, etc. It also opens the door for running aftermarket DBW Cruise Control on newer GM engines.

We found the HDX-2018 or VHX-2018 fits nicely in the dash, so we are offering the mount for that, along with a blank version that you can cut to fit whatever gauges you'd like.

The HDX has a message center that can even be programmed to have inputs from your Rotary Locker switch & CDL. It also can give you a gear position indicator with a 4L60e/4L80E. Imagine that, an 80 Series Land Cruiser with a functional "D" indicator. ;)

fzj90 dash 1 web.jpg

The mount is a sheet metal insert that is laser cut and then bent and welded to match the interior dimensions of the dash cavity. The mount tabs match up with your factory dash cluster mount locations. It is slightly angled to match factory style visibility/viewing angles to the gauges. It gives you a large flat mounting surface to cut in whatever gauges you'd like. We offer it with the interior precut for the Dakota Digital HDX/VHX-2018 if you don't feel like reinventing the wheel. But many round style gauges from Autometer, Speedhut or Dakota Digital will also fit.

It's available in either raw steel (so you can paint it whatever you'd like) or powder coated in a Satin Black finish as pictured above.

Cluster Master Assembly V2 Blank.JPG
Cluster Master Assembly V2 Blank Side View.JPG

The mount is available for purchase on our website right now, and the production run will be shipping in the next couple of weeks - FJ80/FZJ80 Gauge Cluster Mount – The Land Cruiser Shop

(And don't forget to use the code "ih8mud" for 10% off anything on our website.)

Very cool and neatly done. Love that it utilizes stock mounting tabs and doesn't require any modifications in that sense.
Could see this being an awesome option for turbo kit owners who don't want to chop up the dash for gauges!

That's actually a great idea, we didn't think of that. We haven't done a boosted 80 yet.

Where can I find out exactly how to program that display and what the capabilities are?

Cheers

Nice, the digital cluster however is a bit pricey:

The HDX is definitely expensive, however it is really nice. The VHX model is a bit less, and when you add up what you'd spend on tach adapters, oil pressure sender adapters, etc I don't think it's too far from the price of the drop in unit. It's exactly the same price (HDX vs. VHX) as the FJ40 units, so I guess we're used to it.

Nice, the digital cluster however is a bit pricey:

I thought I should also mention, we are offering the mount face totally blank in addition to pre-cut for the HDX-2018, so if the Dakota option isn't of interest, you can run whatever you'd like.

Can you post a picture that is more clear? I just would like to see how that HDX unit fills the space in the dash.

P1020742.jpg

signal-2020-06-29-091223.jpg

Let me know if that helps. There's roughly 1" of space around the entire cluster.

Nice. Is there a non-chrome bezel option from them?

Not presently, but the bezel is easy enough to be removed and you could have it dipped/painted to whatever color you desire.

Also keep in mind, we are selling the mount blank as well, and if there is a different gauge cluster you'd prefer, you can order the blank version and install whatever you'd like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom