80 Front Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillz man! Skillz!
Came out BITCHIN! There are a LOT OF FOLKS, just on this board alone, who would pay a fair amount for a bumper like that.
Just sayin!!!:p

Very nice!

Thanks Keith! I wish I could start a little shop building stuff for these on the side...

Im definitely going to have to ask you some questions when I go to build the aux. tank for my 80. :cheers:

Advanced Powder Coat and Sand in sparks. They're the other half of Metal Masters....

I wont be doing business with them ever again cause their customer service is a complete joke. I had 4 different "it will be done for sure" times and it wasnt, and then I had to keep calling back when they said it would be done only to find out it wasnt. Not to mention the job they did had some flaws in it that should have been caught. Theres wrinkles on the light bar, and some spots inside the wings that they didnt even shoot with powder. The wrinkles werent bad enough for me to bring it up since I just wanted to get my bumper and leave.... I took some rustoleum to the missed spots on the inside so it wouldn't rust before I mounted it to the truck.

Ive had Altizer in Carson do a few things for me and they turned out great. They also had a 3-4 day turn around time. I only went to Advanced because I didnt have time to go to carson, and I thought they did a good job on my dads jeep bumper. They didnt miss any spots on his like they did mine.

The owner was so impressed with my dads jeep bumper that he gave my dad his business card and said if I wanted a job (full or part time) to come see him. Well, I did go see him, and called 3 different times leaving messages to call me back with his guys. He was "out at a meeting" and never returned my phone calls... So I guess that means he changed his mind.

Stepping off the soap box now....

That is a drag to hear. Was it Guy that had told you the info and offered the job?
He's usually pretty good. I know that for CRITICAL cuts and bends and such, I always go to protofab, even though I got the same..."itll be done on X day." and it wasnt till a WEEK later that I had it back, the work they do for that was worth the wait and made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the tank build. That would have been a NIGHTMARE if the dimensions were off even a little.
That doesnt help you with powdercoat, but...
Not a fan of powdercoat myself....Im too cheap and I always end up changing something later, so spray paint is my mantra.:hillbilly:

That is a drag to hear. Was it Guy that had told you the info and offered the job?
He's usually pretty good. I know that for CRITICAL cuts and bends and such, I always go to protofab, even though I got the same..."itll be done on X day." and it wasnt till a WEEK later that I had it back, the work they do for that was worth the wait and made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the tank build. That would have been a NIGHTMARE if the dimensions were off even a little.
That doesnt help you with powdercoat, but...
Not a fan of powdercoat myself....Im too cheap and I always end up changing something later, so spray paint is my mantra.:hillbilly:

yup, it was Guy. My dad picked up the bumper, and Guy asked him where he bought it cause he was impressed. My dad told him that I built it for him, and he then pulled out his business card, took my dad around the shop showing him all the equipment, and then told him to have me call him. Did so 3 times with no return call, then went down to see him in person. The guy back in the shop said "good to see you come down, that shows initiative! Guy will give you a call soon" Never heard from him at all.... This week was the first time Ive actually met him.

Times are s***ty right now and you dont go offering jobs you can't fill. He could of atleast had the respect to call me and tell me so straight up.

I here yah on the rattle can. If the bumper was going to see lots of rocks then I wouldnt waist the money, but I know this one wont be seeing to many. The sliders on the other hand, you bet those got the spray paint treatment!

I'm glad I had my front bumper powder-coated; it takes a beating for sure! Its held up way better than any rattle can job would have regarding brush, weeds, bugs, etc. Its sad to hear Guy's lost his grip on properly managing his business and customers because they've always done me right in the past.

Related: RustyDan: I tried to find epoxy rattle can paint after you mentioned it but Reno Paint Mart said it was unobtanium now. I've used it before but probably 20-years ago. Do you have a source?

I'm glad I had my front bumper powder-coated; it takes a beating for sure! Its held up way better than any rattle can job would have regarding brush, weeds, bugs, etc. Its sad to hear Guy's lost his grip on properly managing his business and customers because they've always done me right in the past.

Related: RustyDan: I tried to find epoxy rattle can paint after you mentioned it but Reno Paint Mart said it was unobtanium now. I've used it before but probably 20-years ago. Do you have a source?

Ditto what espresso guy said...they have always been great with me there. Sorry to hear that you had that experience with them. Ive never dealt with the powdercoat side, but the steel shop...well, Im in there enough that they had better treat me right, not to mention the business I refer to them.:eek:
For general steel...they have the BEST prices in town. Anything "exotic" (off size tubing, DOM etc.) , I just go straight to protofab. Hector over there is the MAN!

Ditto what espresso guy said...they have always been great with me there. Sorry to hear that you had that experience with them. Ive never dealt with the powdercoat side, but the steel shop...well, Im in there enough that they had better treat me right, not to mention the business I refer to them.:eek:
For general steel...they have the BEST prices in town. Anything "exotic" (off size tubing, DOM etc.) , I just go straight to protofab. Hector over there is the MAN!

Hector is the man, I always get good deals from him. I applied for a job there 2 weeks ago and Hector told me to put him down as a reference. Hopefully I'll hear from them sometime soon

I have to throw in another big kudo for Guy. They have always treated me with great service. I know he was going through some issues with employee's very recently. Including replacing his brother at the front desk.

Just one example of the service I have received from Guy; I dropped off a Honda Mini Trail that was a first wedding anniversary gift from my mom to my father. I was restoring it for a surprise birthday gift to my dad. I had told him it was stolen and had stored it at a buddies house for the rebuild.

After sand blasting, Guy found some pinholes in the tank and TIG welded them up no questions asked. Never charged me, or anything. He also laid down the powder in a sweet two tone factory color scheme.

Here it is...

100_1963.jpg

100_1961.jpg

It doesn't surprise me he was cordial to your father. He just returned from the Shot Show in Vegas with some of the guys your father used to work with.

Sorry your experience was poor, but in the end your fab skills still ROCK and to me that's far more important.

I have to throw in another big kudo for Guy. They have always treated me with great service. I know he was going through some issues with employee's very recently. Including replacing his brother at the front desk.

Just one example of the service I have received from Guy; I dropped off a Honda Mini Trail that was a first wedding anniversary gift from my mom to my father. I was restoring it for a surprise birthday gift to my dad. I had told him it was stolen and had stored it at a buddies house for the rebuild.

After sand blasting, Guy found some pinholes in the tank and TIG welded them up no questions asked. Never charged me, or anything. He also laid down the powder in a sweet two tone factory color scheme.

Here it is...

100_1963.jpg

100_1961.jpg

It doesn't surprise me he was cordial to your father. He just returned from the Shot Show in Vegas with some of the guys your father used to work with.

Sorry your experience was poor, but in the end your fab skills still ROCK and to me that's far more important.

NOOOOO EFFFFFFING WAAAAY!!!
That was the SAME BIKE my dad got for me when I was a kid!!! Rode that thing to DEATH!

AAAAAH nostalgia!

Thanks Keith. If you want another project I've got it's twin frame, tank and forks in my garage.

Hijack off. Matt I have the aux. tank mounting brackets that came with my Long Ranger 80 series tank. They bolt up to the rear cross member. These aren't like the rest of my 80 parts that I can't find, these are for real. I had them in my hand today! I couldn't use them because I removed my rear cross member for the 4X4Labs bumper.

If you want them, they are yours. I'll even deliver.

NOOOOO EFFFFFFING WAAAAY!!!
That was the SAME BIKE my dad got for me when I was a kid!!! Rode that thing to DEATH!

AAAAAH nostalgia!

Same here...even the same color! Got it when I was 8...and that was a boatload of years ago :eek:

Cool J!

I don't know if I should share with everybody, oh what the hell.

Try the spray paint section at Home Depot. :flipoff2:

Look for Rustoleum appliance epoxy. The color selection is limited to black, white and almond.

Thanks Keith. If you want another project I've got it's twin frame, tank and forks in my garage.

Hijack off. Matt I have the aux. tank mounting brackets that came with my Long Ranger 80 series tank. They bolt up to the rear cross member. These aren't like the rest of my 80 parts that I can't find, these are for real. I had them in my hand today! I couldn't use them because I removed my rear cross member for the 4X4Labs bumper.

If you want them, they are yours. I'll even deliver.

Thanks Jereme! I'm going to also remove the rear cross member when I build my rear bumper, but if you dont have a use for them (or can't sell them to someone who does) then i'll gladly take them off your hands. Maybe I can put them to use in a different way when I got to make an aux. tank someday.

Excellent.

And yeah, hopefully this one will stay whole. :grinpimp:

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom