80 for sale greater Detroit area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

$29k is absolutely insane.
Agreed! An almost 30 year old vehicle with almost a quarter million miles for almost $30K. What in the world has happened to sanity? That said, it will probably sell.

My wife keeps challenging me about the “IF” I’m going to finish her 80.

I have a complete extra body that is rust free on its matching frame that only has the rear crossmember cut off.

I horse traded for it intending to swap everything from the current 95 to the carcass truck. Now I’m just kinda thinking just make the rougher original go and love it as best as possible, and move the extra parts.

I’m open to ideas.

If I were shopping at that price point I'd be looking for a 70 series.

My wife keeps challenging me about the “IF” I’m going to finish her 80.

I have a complete extra body that is rust free on its matching frame that only has the rear crossmember cut off.

I horse traded for it intending to swap everything from the current 95 to the carcass truck. Now I’m just kinda thinking just make the rougher original go and love it as best as possible, and move the extra parts.

I’m open to ideas.
Well, one idea is that for the apparent current 80s values you may want to consider seeing if your wife would like a 200. There are 200s in the classifieds that are decades younger, way fewer miles, and much lower price than the 80 in the ad above. Sell all the 80s stuff and try a 200?

Start bidding on this one

Well, one idea is that for the apparent current 80s values you may want to consider seeing if your wife would like a 200. There are 200s in the classifieds that are decades younger, way fewer miles, and much lower price than the 80 in the ad above. Sell all the 80s stuff and try a 200?
Been thinking about a 200, sometime in the not too distant future we'll sell my wife's Q7 (before ~50k mile Audi stuff starts to happen). I know nothing about 200s, might be looking for some buying advice down the road.

We still appreciate a good long distance cruiser, no pun intended. The 80 isn't bad for our 6hr cabin trips - but trying to pass anyone on these 2 lane Canadian roads takes a lot more planning than I care for. Been in a couple of "why'd you try that dummy" moments before I calibrated to how damn slow that thing is :)

Been thinking about a 200, sometime in the not too distant future we'll sell my wife's Q7 (before ~50k mile Audi stuff starts to happen). I know nothing about 200s, might be looking for some buying advice down the road.

We still appreciate a good long distance cruiser, no pun intended. The 80 isn't bad for our 6hr cabin trips - but trying to pass anyone on these 2 lane Canadian roads takes a lot more planning than I care for. Been in a couple of "why'd you try that dummy" moments before I calibrated to how damn slow that thing is :)
I too have a 6 hr cabin trip that I've done many many times over 30 years in a 80, 100, and 200. If you ever want ideas or for me to look at a local 200 with/for you, let me know.

I would never consider having a 200. I get abdominal heaves at the thought of it. For this family there are no American market LCs after the 80.

I make no apologies about feeling like a Landcruiser should be more utilitarian sans frills.
Absolutely no apologies needed about an 80. I loved mine for many years and it was my intro to Land Cruisers 30 years ago. But now that I'm getting older, I also love the 200 and consider them to be one of the most incredible vehicles ever built. So no apologies on my part for liking the amazing capabilities, safety, power, comfort, utility, and reliability of the 200.

Last edited:
I recently bought my first 200. 9 years old and 150,000 miles on it. It is an absolute tank and I love it. It is so much more like a refined 80 than the 100 is. Love every series but it just amazes me how much like an 80 series the 200 series is. The biggest difference is 381 hp and it can cruise happily at 90 mph. 😁

I hear awesome things about the 200 series cruisers. Wouldn't mind one for myself someday. Recently drove through Midland and spotted a beaut of a 40 sitting outside an import auto repair shop, so I stopped in and complimented it. The guy was selling it for $64k. My guess was $60k, and he was baffled that my guess was that close. The value of these rigs nowadays is absolutely bonkers. Makes the money I put into my rig look cheap!!

Personally, if I were to have to do it all over again, I'd go right for an 80 series for comfort and ease of use/ownership. I really liked Cheezypoof's 80 last time we went for a ride. But for an asking price of $29k I'll keep fine tuning my 60 :)

I too have a 6 hr cabin trip that I've done many many times over 30 years in a 80, 100, and 200. If you ever want ideas or for me to look at a local 200 with/for you, let me know.
Thanks @Sandroad, I appreciate it! Kicking tires at this point, but if you see a good deal come across your screen send my way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom