'80 - '87 same frame size ??? interchangeable ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided to go after my frame rust the replacement way.

Will an early '80's frame swap cleanly for a late '80's frame. Target vehicle is an '87 and I do remember a transmission change in middle of '85. Does this affect the trans support crossmember ?

Mucho Thanks,
Cahil

Same thing as I'll be doing come September. Got a clean frame here in Central America and a killer price to do the swap. The new frame even has traces of the factory paint still on it where mine has significant damage.

I think all '60 frames are the same other than engine mounts but don't quote me on that.

Ouch, now we got conflicting info. Since I posted I rang up Specter on the phone and twisted their arms for info since it's their Sale week with no tech support. They went thumbs down. Pre mid '85 and late mid '85 are supposedly different but I have no more specifics. Rats ... because there's a nice 60 frame on eBay right now but it's an early 80's one. Shipping is gonna cost me triple the frame price so I'm gonna pass.

Cahil

My OEM shop manual frame diagrams make no differentiation on dimensions so I'm not sure what the differences might be. I know that the '62 has a different bumper mount so maybe that's a difference on late '60s as well.

One difference is the mounting bolts for the steering gear. Close but not the same - not sure what year the change occured.

So what are you going to do about the title of your truck? Are you going to use the title of the rusted frame truck, or are you going to use the title of the "new" rust free frame? I have this issue with the plow truck right now.

Zack

Zack,

Good question. Hadn't thought up that one. Specter said they had frames but no titles. I wuz wondering why they said that and now I know.

Cahil

I'm not changing VIN plates or VIN numbers or registration. My experience has been that everyone looks for the VIN plates (in all my travels in Central America where they look at the VIN at each border crossing, they've never looked at the frame number). It's true that the frame number will no longer match but that's one of those things (they are not the easiest thing to see anyways). I'll ask DMV this summer and see what they say, but in either case a new frame is in order especially at the price I'm getting installed!

Hey guys,
From what I found, once a truck has been junked, the frame becomes null and void in the eyes of the law. The State of NJ claims that there is no legal way to use a frame from another that does not not have a clear title. And they lady claimed that tihs was true for all 50 Sates. With that said however, I think if you are creative about getting rid of the frame ##'s, who would know? It's not like we are stealing the parts, which is why they have such stupid laws. On the plow truck, I need a frame, but there is no way in the eyes of the law that it will ever be done legally.

Thanks,
Zack

Hey Cruiser GUy,

I don't know, but I would feel more comfortable if the frame numbers were gone. What if you got a Customs guy who was on a powertrip, and checked, they would say that the frame was stolen, and you would be up the creek without a paddle.

Just being my normal nervous self,
Zack

I can easily imagine a thief stealing a frame - say, in a parking lot, while you're in having lunch. Yeah, this is a good law.

IIRC, you go to the DMV with a legal bill of sale, and they will issue you a title for a 'vehicle' without a title. Check on titling vehicles, I think the law applies to frames, since the VIN is on the frame as well as the engine - I think.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom