78 Series Tourer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi there,

How was/is your trip through the south part of Africa. Where are you right now?
Hope with the Troopy everything was perfect.

Since now i´m joining IH8Mud. I found the image of you in front if the ghanaian container. This guys face i know from somewhere, i thought. After that i found other pics from loading the container with us.......... great!

News: I´m going to ship a 60's series from Japan, great car!
The works on the BJ are going on as usual.............time will tell.

Greetz to Namibia or whereever..............

Martin

Hi there,

Martin showed me the pictures today - really great and fantastic... we hope to hear from you soon:beer:... Kisses..also to Julia!!

Marina and Martin:bounce::bounce2:

hey seeing those dunes again brings back memorys, enjoyed this thread,are you still in Southern Africa? im from Botswana so just interested to know if thiers any other MUD members close by :grinpimp:
:cheers:

Just read the whole thread now, truly amazing. i love all the details, mods and preparations for the trip. Glad to see everything turned out great, and when you're a bit down after the trip is over; it's a proof of joy, i really can relate.
Again, amazing!

So, what tire did you choose next?

I see you were playing in my backyard without me. :mad::bang:

I was only ones in the dunes with my naturally aspirated diesel 105 cruiser. It was fun and would like to do it again. Know a few land cruiser club SA member in Windhoek and Walvis bay who go into the dunes on a regular basis.:bounce:

Nice pictures and hope you enjoyed the trip.:cheers:

Well folks it has been a while! Seasons greetings to you all:)
Thanks for the continuing interest, particularly from Martin & Marina - good luck with the 60 series.

Well, the next tyres were eventually BFG MT KM2 - bought in Namibia where tyres were frighteningly expensive... But before that (and after the desert trip) we had a bit more wheeling to do:

IMG_6327.jpg

This was fantastic - 4 nights wilderness around Dorros crater area in Namibia.

Julia's brother joined us for almost three weeks - he had joined us before in Ghana for a very short trip, but he really enjoyed proper 4x4 remote travel.

IMG_6356.jpg

We also took him to Etosha Park to see some wildlife:

IMG_6869.jpg

After Roman left us we then headed north up to the Kunene River which we then followed and headed south into the Kaokoveld - some of the guys on here will know this area which is kind of a Mecca for Southern African 4x4 enthusiasts... brilliant!!! Van Zyles Pass was stunning, and in almost a week of travel we saw one other vehicle!

IMG_7258.jpg

Kunene River camp spot

Namibia%202009%202325.jpg

Zan Zyle's Pass, Kaokoveld Namibia

This area - well, it's difficult to get bored... even the weather changes like the scenery:
IMG_7443.jpg

I am cutting lot's of long stories short here! After spending three months in Namibia (and seeing the whole country just about) we headed into Botswana - where sights like this are not at all unusual!
%3Cuntitled%3E.jpg

Botswana was fantastic - but we have way more animal than 4x4 pictures! Anyway, here is a Okavango water crossing video - nothing dramatic but fun! The massive amounts of predators do however make the thoughts of getting stuck seem a bit more dramatic than normal.
YouTube - Botswana 2009 313.mpg

We had three nights away from our cruiser 'home' and in a luxury Okavango Camp - worth every penny:popcorn:

IMG_7826.jpg

IMG_7975.jpg

IMG_8004.jpg

IMG_8394.jpg

In the Safari Industry there are lots and lots of interesting vehicle conversions around:

%3Cuntitled%3E%203.jpg

And this is the 70 series section so here is a Prado with some lions;):

%3Cuntitled%3E.jpg

The lions were disapointed - 3.0L so less chance of snacking on stranded tourists.

Botswana%202009%20338.jpg

This is in Savuti (Chobe Park, Botswana).

%3Cuntitled%3E.jpg

HZJ79 Game viewing vehicle.

%3Cuntitled%3E.jpg

Water crossing in Zambia (we took the infamous 05' road which was a breeze as we caught it just before rains make it impassable)
Video of it:
YouTube - Zambia 2009 904.mpg

Same place - massive dry river bed in the background:
%3Cuntitled%3E.jpg

I'l leave it here for now with a shot of hand drawn pontoon ferry in Zambia:
%3Cuntitled%3E%202.jpg

Gil , How do you like your IMPI roof top tent? I guess it takes seconds instead of minutes like the old one? Thanks

Hi Gilmour and Julia,

We wish you a (late) merry christmas and a happy and prosperous new year 2010!

The 61 is a great car, allmost NO rust, because the japanese do not use salt in winter.
The power an SOUND of the engine drives a smile in your face.:D

If you like to see pics of the HJ61 join the below link.

[www.buschtaxi.de] - Thema anzeigen - Japan-Import

Regards

Martin

Gil , How do you like your IMPI roof top tent? I guess it takes seconds instead of minutes like the old one? Thanks

Hi PT, well I have to say the difference is amazing - the Impi is so much faster up and down (and you stay clean!). This makes a difference over 6 months;). Other advantage that I never considered before is that it is much tougher - my old tent got pretty torn up by branches - the impi doesn't mind this at all. Overall I am very satisfied with it.

I have been working on a "what is good and what is junk" type write up which I will post up soon.

People we were with on the Namib desert trip shot quite a lot of video and I have put it up for interested people to have a look at. It is quite large and quite long, but believe me it is worth it - the girl who shot and edited it has done a fantastic job. Hope you enjoy!
MobileMe

Last edited:
Thanks Gil.

On the above mobileme link I have also put up a short geeky video (poor quality) guide to our troopy. It was intended for friends and family and got me a lot of teasing - mainly all my under vehicle/hood tech talk:)
You guys will probably appreciate it more than my mum did :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom