78 Series Locker combinations... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,
those that follow my troopy build up will realise the last big decision is the diffs... Now in my old Defender I had Detroit locker rear and True trac front (permanent 4by). Now I have decided to go down the diff upgrade route and I have been exchanging email with Carl at JTS as I saw JTS on here - very sound guy, swift responses etc. His prices are also way better than rip-off Europe:)
Well, frankly the choice needs some input folks!
- Firstly: HZJ78 how many pinions? ToyoDIY doesn't want to tell me!
- Then choices... So far I am leaning towards Truetrac front and ARB rear. It seems that for the rear there is not a Truetrac or Detroit Locker option?

Bear in mind my use is not hard core trail bashing, this is why I lean to the Truetrac, but to be honest my brain is about to explode thinking of the various pros and cons etc.

Anyone got any input and part numbers?

BTW I have read reams of stuff on diffs and like the simplicity of auto type lockers or geared LSD - it worked before just nicely, and I mostly run on gravel roads in 4 wheel drive. For my use Truetrack front and rear (or detroit rear) would may well actually be the best...

Have also read a fair bit of people running Detroits front and rear on part time 4bys but Carl reckons ARB rear is the only choice. Want to give a Mudder the business so bring on the usual knowledge please chaps:popcorn:
Gil

locker

Well, as for the rear there is limited options because the 9.5" diff switched to 32 spline and the ring gear bolt pattern and spacing changed. The only one so far is the arb. It would be possible to use a detroit, or other locker for the older 9.5 application, but would require using 30 spline rear axles, and an aftermarket or older oe ring & pinion. These would far exceed the cost of an ARB.

The front is the 8" high pinion which will accept any of the std 8" 50mm units like arb, detroit, truetrac, etc. When it comes to the "lunchbox" style units like the lock right or Noslip, it depends on if the front is a 2 pinion or 4 pinion carrier. The 80 series front here is the same, but uses 2 pinion. I am not sure if the HZJ78 uses a 2 or 4pinion, but either could be fitted if necessary.

I was going to go with the ARB Air Lockers, but will probably try out the new Eaton/Harrop ELockers (electronic) instead, of which the front for the 78 series is available now and the rear is due for release mid-year.

Use the factory in the rear it is great, and factory up front as well. I have an ARB in the front, insatlled it last year and now a seal or something has busted in it - when i hit the compressor all i hear is air rushing out the diff vent. I don't like the little seals and copper tube - too fragile in my opinion and too wimpy for this cold climate. With the toyota e locker you will have no problems for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom