78 build thus far and PTO gear question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been lurking for months and asking a few questions here and there but never posted pics of my build. Pics attached. Rebuilt 2f(all oem), OME shocks, on and on. My first experience with a FJ40 but I think I've done OK thus far.
Interesting story about the truck. I always wanted an Fj40 and looked for a while. My brother in law found this one in MS and called me. I went over the next day and picked it up. Found some paper work the next day with some of the previous owners contact info. One of them in the town in North Al. I grew up in. I gave him a call, he had it for 14 or so years, and had it in the house I grew up in. aint that something. Anyway, it's a project, have stolen tons of info from mud, and have enjoyed it so far.

DSCN0052.JPG

DSCN0050.JPG

DSCN0051.JPG

Got wound up and forgot my question. Getting the transmission and trans case sealed back up and on the truck. It doesn't have a PTO. So all of them have the PTO gear even if not PTO? And as shown in the attached, it slides back and forth on the shaft. Am I missing a spacer or something or is it designed like that?

DSCN0054.JPG

Bearing need to be moved forward to fill the gap. Not all of them have the PTO gear on the four speeds. Your does. Not sure your is in the right way. Would need to check but thing the thicker surface should be against the bearing.

I looked earlier at a parts diagram similar to that. I still think I have something in wrong as the PTO gear can slide back and forth at least and inch and a half. and my PTo gear is smaller than the drive gear. and when I put the spacer on the back of the drive shaft outside the t case it hangs off of the "grooved" portion of the shaft.

Looks like you have it in backwards and you need to install the bearing inot the transfer case housing to prevent the gear from moving.

Catfish28,

If you are never going to use the the PTO then leaving the gear the way it is,is fine because it's just acting as spacer. The bearing that slides in behind the gear fits in the bore of the transfer case with a sliding fit, it is not clamped to the TC bore. The bearing is tighten up by the stake nut on the back. The front spacer, TC input gear, PTO gear, rear bearing, rear short spacer and rear washer are all compressed by the stake nut at the back of the TC input shaft.
I would be best to pull the TC off the trans and put the PTO gear in correctly just to so you know it correct and you won't be called names as the PO when you sell and the next owner wants to put a PTO winch on it. Especially when you have the body off and can pull it with ease.
The "grooved" portion of the shaft is called the splined shaft.

Thanks jb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom