78 alternator conversion query (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey chaps,

I've been enjoying running my truck this summer over here in the UK after getting the engine running nicely. Only purchased before summer.
However the charging system does not work at all. When I purchased the truck a few months ago, it ran really poor under load. After some digging and new parts, turns out the charging system was kicking out way too many volts and upsetting the ignition system (18v plus)
I simply disconnected the external regulator and that cured the running issue.
So, now I'm onto rectifying the charging system after ignoring it for a while. I firstly swopped out the regulator for a new unit that matched the one on the truck. But made no difference.
Regulator fitted is a FD ELECMAN 6 wire unit.
The annoying thing is, the wiring loom has been hacked and chopped. Looks as though someone has tried wiring in a 6pin regulator to a 3pin loom... But there could be some wire wire tucked away in the loom. There are joins everywhere, and looks as though some wires have got very hot. I was going to repair the wiring, and wire in the new regulator properly but I would like to convert to an internal regulator unit.
After lots and lots of research, I think my best route for where I live, is a CS130 unit. And I'll run some new cabling and remove ammeter.
The questions I have for u clever chaps is..... Being this is a rhd model and I'm in the UK with limited off the shelf options, what might be the best alternator to go for? The 10si and 12si seem hard to find over here too. Also Fj60 option seems limited over here. Is there a certain model of cs130 to look for?

I won't need any more than 90amp but obviously I'd rather it was bigger and don't need it than the other way.
Currently has a Toyota alternator fitted with pn 27020-60070? (unable to confirm last 2 digits but belive to be this)

Any help or other recommendations appreciated, I'll post some pics of my currently layout

16587492784053650647322931852618.jpg

16587493353548163372915765544064.jpg

16587493746133460449028210768861.jpg

1658749414226335371455574176228.jpg

Thanks for the advise. I'm really hoping for an easy off the shelf option this side of the pond if possible.
Failing that... Finding original fitment VR and putting back to original 3pin setup.

My 7/78 FJ40 has a 6 pin regulator connector. Those regulators are dirt cheap through Toyota (like $28 USD for a reman). Somewhere in 1977/78 is when Toyota switched from the 3 pin to the 6 pin regulator. Obviously, someone has monkeyed with your wiring along the way. You might want to consult some factory wiring diagrams for your truck to determine what you originally had.

You could also install a so-called 'GM 1 wire' alternator, which I used on my '65 FJ45. I wired it through the dashboard ammeter and then back to the battery, and it self-excites when you start the truck. Very simple to use and plenty of amps: Amazon product ASIN B01N6CVLAB. I bought mine from NAPA (US parts chain store) and they are sold by various hot-rod shops. In this case, you'd ditch your factory regulator and the alternator does it all.

Thanks chaps,
I've actually gone with my a completely different option. It's a napa unit based on a lucus A127 75amp alternator. Off the shelf in the UK for £60 and mounts up with minimal mods....
Today's job is uprating all the wiring!
Adding warning lamp also.. Will post up results.

IMG-20220729-WA0004.jpeg

Hey chaps,

I've been enjoying running my truck this summer over here in the UK after getting the engine running nicely. Only purchased before summer.
However the charging system does not work at all. When I purchased the truck a few months ago, it ran really poor under load. After some digging and new parts, turns out the charging system was kicking out way too many volts and upsetting the ignition system (18v plus)
I simply disconnected the external regulator and that cured the running issue.
So, now I'm onto rectifying the charging system after ignoring it for a while. I firstly swopped out the regulator for a new unit that matched the one on the truck. But made no difference.
Regulator fitted is a FD ELECMAN 6 wire unit.
The annoying thing is, the wiring loom has been hacked and chopped. Looks as though someone has tried wiring in a 6pin regulator to a 3pin loom... But there could be some wire wire tucked away in the loom. There are joins everywhere, and looks as though some wires have got very hot. I was going to repair the wiring, and wire in the new regulator properly but I would like to convert to an internal regulator unit.
After lots and lots of research, I think my best route for where I live, is a CS130 unit. And I'll run some new cabling and remove ammeter.
The questions I have for u clever chaps is..... Being this is a rhd model and I'm in the UK with limited off the shelf options, what might be the best alternator to go for? The 10si and 12si seem hard to find over here too. Also Fj60 option seems limited over here. Is there a certain model of cs130 to look for?

I won't need any more than 90amp but obviously I'd rather it was bigger and don't need it than the other way.
Currently has a Toyota alternator fitted with pn 27020-60070? (unable to confirm last 2 digits but belive to be this)

Any help or other recommendations appreciated, I'll post some pics of my currently layout

View attachment 3068437

View attachment 3068438

View attachment 3068439

View attachment 3068440

- your old JAPAN original NipponDenso unit was a 27020-60070 12V / 35A

- your NEW CHINA lucus unit A127 is 12V / 75amp

- where are you going to put the EXTRA 12V / 45V you now will have ?

- here is the genuine JAPAN NipponDenso Voltage Regulator you need / 6 WIRE and will support up to a 90A unit ...........

1659178384749.png

1659178349570.png

denso 1.jpg

22248_contents4 - Copy.gif

This is internally regulated alternator. I'm deleting the external regulator.
Extra amps will be for the accessories I'll be adding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom