78 / 66 Cruiser ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help and advice. Recently brought home a 66 fj40 and have a donor 78. The 78 was hit from the rear.
Will the entire running gear---2F, 4 speed with T/C case and both the rear end and the front axle ---transplant into the 66 frame? The 78 has 4 wheel disc brakes and want the 2F with the 4 speed.
The 66 has some surface rust but no serious rust anywhere. The corners are clean, so is under the doors etc.
What problems will I run into? ANY suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated. Considering this swap or maybe a SBC in the process as I have in in the barn too. My choice is the 2F first.

Yes, you can swap the whole shebang. There are a few minor issues, like the clutch line and the center cross member, but it is basically a drop in. You might as well swap the entire brake system too.

ar2stp48,

if you do the swap, let me know I need some parts like shifter boots, inner rubbers and rings from the 66 3speed shifter.

- Rico.

Sorry, off topic, but do you need to get rid of some of the emblems or the hardtop of the '78 (if any)? Let me know.

The 4sp tranny is longer, so the crossmember clearance will be tight, making trail repairs more difficult. Most people just cut the cross member out, but you can move it back a few inches.

AR,
i have a 67 that had the swap already done when i got it. I've since picked up late model front and rear ends complete and I'm swapping the early stuff out for the better front disc brakes and fine splined stuff. My cross member was deleted when they made the swap. From what I see, you can easily fab one and reinstall it if you're worried about it.

Thanks for all the help. Just trying to make up my mind on what to do with the assortment of stuff. The 66 would be a great way to reclaim the 78 to the road again.
Will be in touch Rico on the parts should I decide on this project soon. Will have parts from the 66 and some from the 78 left over.
Think my first plan was to secure the 66 and trade it to someone in a smog state--the 66 is pre any smog isnt it?. Like the late model except for the amb doors; want the 3 piece.
Again, apperciate the responses---great to have this board for info.

sounds like you have some good stuff there. Definately swap the later axles in, as the 66 front will have monkey-claw style pre birfield axles. These are really weak (worse than the birfs) and hard to find for parts. Just leave all the brakes on, as the later brakes will eliminate the banjo fittings on the early axle, and when you adapt the booster on, power disks.

Both my monkey joints and brake banjos have failed at pretty innopportune times, and I wish I had swapped it out earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom