IH 76 Scout ii Traveler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brooksville Florida United States of America
My dad bought me a 76 scout ii traveler from a friend in california when i was 12, we live in Florida and he had it shipped down here and it was gonna be my first car when i started driving but now im 16 and it isnt in running condition, it ran when we got it and we drove it from our one house to the other and it has sat in the garage since and we started it up a few times but she has been sitting for a few years now, i just wanted to know of any history about the traveler edition scout and what kind of engine it has, it is the original ih engine i believe its a 5.7 v8 but i just wanted to know of more history about scouts and others opinions, i plan on restoring it soon and having it as a collector vehicle and not daily drive it because im gonna buy a fox body for this until i graduate highschool then get something more economical. I'm just looking for some stories about scouts and the scout community. I don't have pictures but its externally in good condition and the interior needs some work but its a dark forest green with the white fiber glass topper.

My first car was an 1975 IH Scout. Loved that rig, it got me through college. I should have never sold her, very original and zero rust.

My dad bought me a 76 scout ii traveler from a friend in california when i was 12, we live in Florida and he had it shipped down here and it was gonna be my first car when i started driving but now im 16 and it isnt in running condition, it ran when we got it and we drove it from our one house to the other and it has sat in the garage since and we started it up a few times but she has been sitting for a few years now, i just wanted to know of any history about the traveler edition scout and what kind of engine it has, it is the original ih engine i believe its a 5.7 v8 but i just wanted to know of more history about scouts and others opinions, i plan on restoring it soon and having it as a collector vehicle and not daily drive it because im gonna buy a fox body for this until i graduate highschool then get something more economical. I'm just looking for some stories about scouts and the scout community. I don't have pictures but its externally in good condition and the interior needs some work but its a dark forest green with the white fiber glass topper.

It probably has the 345 IH V-8. A "land cruiser like" engine in that it's built for longevity rather than power. My sister had one of these, with the Chrysler Torqueflite auto tranny. I owned a '77 Scout II with the same drive train. One problem spot was the engine electrical brain-can't remember what it was called. This caused some occasional no start problems. I also didn't like how the shock stud mounts were set up as it was easy for them to wear.

These trucks are like Land Cruisers in that they're stoutly constructed but very prone to body rust and bad MPG.

My body style preference was the earlier Scout 80/800 series. Unfortunately most of them came with pathetic 4 cylinder engines, 3 speed transmission and in every way were very crude vehicles.

One of the best 4x4's I have ever seen is the 1974 IH D200 4x4 with an automatic and 345 V8. At the time, I had a 69 Chevy K10 and I watched this IH truck jump out into some soft mud (that had grass growing on the top) and he was digging so much it was like he was cutting sod with his axles. He would go forward about 15 feet, then backwards about 5, forward 15, back 5 and he went through over 100 feet of this and when it was done, there were two tire tracks and the sod had literally went up and over his axles, and laid back down behind the truck.

We had gone to this location to pull out a 1981 Firebird had gone out into this mudhole due to an inexperienced female driver that thought it was blacktop and was in the throttle HARD. She made it 60 feet in and had to climb out the windows because the mud was up the sides of the doors.

Ultimately, I was the one that pulled out the car, but watching the IH truck has made a lasting impression on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom