IH 76 Scout ii Traveler

Discussion in 'International/Scout' started by Jakob, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Jakob

Jakob

Brooksville Florida United States of America
    My dad bought me a 76 scout ii traveler from a friend in california when i was 12, we live in Florida and he had it shipped down here and it was gonna be my first car when i started driving but now im 16 and it isnt in running condition, it ran when we got it and we drove it from our one house to the other and it has sat in the garage since and we started it up a few times but she has been sitting for a few years now, i just wanted to know of any history about the traveler edition scout and what kind of engine it has, it is the original ih engine i believe its a 5.7 v8 but i just wanted to know of more history about scouts and others opinions, i plan on restoring it soon and having it as a collector vehicle and not daily drive it because im gonna buy a fox body for this until i graduate highschool then get something more economical. I'm just looking for some stories about scouts and the scout community. I don't have pictures but its externally in good condition and the interior needs some work but its a dark forest green with the white fiber glass topper.

2. Skeet

Skeet

3. Haggis

Haggis SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    My first car was an 1975 IH Scout. Loved that rig, it got me through college. I should have never sold her, very original and zero rust.

4. 89GASHOG

89GASHOG

Media:
    Albums:

It probably has the 345 IH V-8. A "land cruiser like" engine in that it's built for longevity rather than power. My sister had one of these, with the Chrysler Torqueflite auto tranny. I owned a '77 Scout II with the same drive train. One problem spot was the engine electrical brain-can't remember what it was called. This caused some occasional no start problems. I also didn't like how the shock stud mounts were set up as it was easy for them to wear.

These trucks are like Land Cruisers in that they're stoutly constructed but very prone to body rust and bad MPG.

My body style preference was the earlier Scout 80/800 series. Unfortunately most of them came with pathetic 4 cylinder engines, 3 speed transmission and in every way were very crude vehicles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.