76+Non US Disk Brake Conversion Parts Q? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I've read every thread on this disk brake conversions and it appears that I may have a somewhat simpler task ahead of me. There are a ton of threads on disk conversion but not much on the late model non-us conversion. My vehicle is a 9/78 NON-US 40 with front drums. I think that this means that I already have fine splined birfs. So it seems that all I need to do is replace everything from the knuckle out. The spindles are the same but I believe that the hubs are not. Can anyone who has done a non-us conversion confirm that I understand this right and I'm not missing something?

In terms of getting the parts for this, I really don't want to have to deal with an entire front axle if all I need is from the knuckles out.
I'll probably rebuild the knuckles, new bearings, go with new rotors and trade in the calipers for rebuilt ones. I understand that I could go for a 76+40 or a 60. We've got a couple of cruiser specific yards near here where I hope to be able to get just the parts that I need instead of the entire axle. I just want to double check my assumptions before I give them a call.

You will need:

Knuckles, disc dust shields, disc brake wheel bearing hubs and rotors, calipers, associated hardware, and long body OEM lockouts, or, aftermarket lockouts.

Thanks Poser. It looks like you've listed everything from the knuckle out except the spindle and steering arm (which are the same, assuming I stay with a 76+FJ40). I think I'll ask for the whole assembly from the knuckle out to make sure that I get all of the 'associated hardware'.

I'll need a knuckle rebuild kit, bearings, and have to do some brake hose work, but otherwise it sounds easy enough. Any other gotchas in this NON-US conversion that I might be different from what I've already read? No grinding, no steering arm mods...

--ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom