75 FJ40 VIN Help / Engine Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think your next step might be to start posting detailed photos, including headlights, tail lights, dash, seats, heater, firewall, etc.
There is no end to people on this forum would would love to identify trucks down to the month just based on little details!
75 was a big year I think because it was the 2F motor, 76 was a big year because it got front disc brakes, 77 might’ve been the first year of ambulance doors etc.
Lots of changes through those days.

I think your next step might be to start posting detailed photos, including headlights, tail lights, dash, seats, heater, firewall, etc.
There is no end to people on this forum would would love to identify trucks down to the month just based on little details!
75 was a big year I think because it was the 2F motor, 76 was a big year because it got front disc brakes, 77 might’ve been the first year of ambulance doors etc.

Several problems with that. I don't have any axles, the heater, taillights, or seats, but I do have the dash. It has the rectangular amber front lights (no white lights) that the 74 and earlier ones had. This really was just a parts rig for me. I wanted the top, doors, frame, and a few other body parts from it. I am pretty sure it is an October 75 build date, and it was originally from Alaska, as far as I can tell. I really wish I could give more info, but the po's didn't leave much to go on.

The problem is now, my dad wants me to turn it into an fj45 because the firewall is really clean and stick it on an 80 series rolling stock, so I need to get the stupid thing registered.

Carson, thanks for the offer! I'm really wanting to know about the smog equipment. I'm looking at trying to get it registered and back moving somewhat before the new CARB stuff hits the fan in 2021. With no engine, trying to get it cleared as a 75 makes it hard. I am hoping someone with that rough production date may be able to help fill in what would have been on the engine smog wise. I'd still like to swing by and talk cruisers at some point though. Always fun to do.
What is the "CARB stuff"? If its something forcing you to pay money and or jump through 53 hoops with hopes of saving the seals or lining the pockets of some liberal tree hugging bureaucrat just to drive your vintage kick ass truck, then I say ignore. Thats what I do. I operate with impunity. God made men, Samuel Colt made them equal.

What is the "CARB stuff"? If its something forcing you to pay money and or jump through 53 hoops with hopes of saving the seals or lining the pockets of some liberal tree hugging bureaucrat just to drive your vintage kick ass truck, then I say ignore. Thats what I do. I operate with impunity. God made men, Samuel Colt made them equal.

Colorado is moving to some California emission laws. It makes my life difficult. I want to be prepared in case it starts to mess with my builds.

75 was the first year for ambulance doors, 75-76 maybe 77 had no holes for the door mirrors, 78 started the vent window in the hard top
Jan 79 had more changes then again in 81
can't remember when 3 point seat belts started

According to SOR, the carburetor was like a '75 with the AAP until 11/75, so you will need the vac valve on the thermostat if the emissions folks even care, or know it is there. Otherwise, the '76 is simpler system in that regard, using a 2-nipple vac source, aka, 'gas filter' on the front of the intake manifold.

Also, you will need to the hot air intake on the air cleaner assembly, which is specific to the early 2F valve covers, IIRC, and the manifold heat shield to plumb the air up to the air cleaner.

emissions.jpg
emissions2.jpg

Other things not listed, is the check valve which goes after the fuel vapor separator. Also, there was an igniter on my 2/'75 coil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom