'74 FJ40 in pieces (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UPDATE

So I brought everything home last weekend and still going through tubs of parts to see what I am missing. The only things I didn't pick up were the windshield frame and the door skins. He said he has to look for them so we'll see. i picked up the whole package for 2K so I don't think I did too bad. Engine is not original, I ran the serial number off the block and its a 2F from 3/78. Squirted some tranny fluid down the plug holes and it spins free. Overall everything but the back end of the tub is in really good shape. Looks like i'll be looking for some parts for what I can't find soon. Can't wait to get started!!!!

Im planning on doing the same think with a 79. Supposed to start bring home in pieces this weekend. A little concerned about rust but that's a down the road fix. Your price sounds like you did good. I'm looking forward to your updates.

Im planning on doing the same think with a 79. Supposed to start bring home in pieces this weekend. A little concerned about rust but that's a down the road fix. Your price sounds like you did good. I'm looking forward to your updates.
I am finishing buffing the surface rust off the frame and axles this weekend and coating everything in Chassis Saver black. Then its onto wheel bearings, knuckle bearings and new seals in everything. Once I get the frame rolling again, I've got to focus on getting the engine to a point where I can see if it runs...

Page 2 of this thread and still no pictures? :mad::frown::mad:
Sounds like a fun project. I'm sure you can do this, it's just going to take time and money, then again what doesn't.
First things first, we need pic of everything you have. It will also be helpful for you later when you go back to make sure you have everything so you don't go buying stuff twice.

Page 2 of this thread and still no pictures? :mad::frown::mad:
Sounds like a fun project. I'm sure you can do this, it's just going to take time and money, then again what doesn't.
First things first, we need pic of everything you have. It will also be helpful for you later when you go back to make sure you have everything so you don't go buying stuff twice.
Here are some pics of when I went and looked at it a couple weeks ago. I will get better photos as the project continues to make my marriage and my bank account wear thin...HAHAHA! My wife is actually really excited, but the faster I get this thing moving the less chance she'll lose interest.

IMG_2780.JPG

IMG_2782.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

I'm sure you'll get some hate, but I love my V8. If I were doing a V8 swap today, I'd go find a 1997 or newer 1/2 ton Chevy/GMC 4WD donor truck with a manual. Finding one with a manual transmission will be a bit tough, but you'll end up with the LS-based motor. It's a more complicated swap, but they are much nicer motors to live with. Well worth the extra effort, in my opinion.

Don't spend a bunch of money on go-fast parts for that V8 either. With warm sticky tires and dry pavement, mine can lift the front end off the ground. Sounds cool. Isn't cool. Real scary. A V8 in standard trim will have more than enough power to get down the road or trail. Keep it reliable and save your money for body work and seats.

I'm sure you'll get some hate, but I love my V8. If I were doing a V8 swap today, I'd go find a 1997 or newer 1/2 ton Chevy/GMC 4WD donor truck with a manual. Finding one with a manual transmission will be a bit tough, but you'll end up with the LS-based motor. It's a more complicated swap, but they are much nicer motors to live with. Well worth the extra effort, in my opinion.
Thanks for the advice. I've got an older 350 in the shop that needs a crank kit. I'm not sure what route I'll take right now.

What’s your planned use? I had a 350/sm465 in mine and really liked it, up until last month. I reeallllly like the quadrajet, never cared what angle I was driving on. I hear the tbi is good but no experience. The 420 is stout. Adapters are a bit pricey, so make sure you have a good idea of what you’re putting in the truck and how it’ll drive. The 465 is fine for me around town and ok on the highway. If I was daily driving it, I’d like one more gear before I hit fourth tho.

What’s your planned use? I had a 350/sm465 in mine and really liked it, up until last month. I reeallllly like the quadrajet, never cared what angle I was driving on. I hear the tbi is good but no experience. The 420 is stout. Adapters are a bit pricey, so make sure you have a good idea of what you’re putting in the truck and how it’ll drive. The 465 is fine for me around town and ok on the highway. If I was daily driving it, I’d like one more gear before I hit fourth tho.
Mostly a trail beater, but I go to Moab a few times a year too, nothing crazy. I have a quadrajet that will fit and I am certainly considering it over TBI for simplicity. I can get an adapter for the 420 to my Toyota transfer case for about $450 and should be able to swap the driveshafts if I'm doing the math right. The only thing I have to watch is the shift tower and the firewall. I am a welder by trade and have lots of access to scrap "goodies" at work, so I'll be building my own motor mounts and crossmember.

Alright, here goes the thread revival.

Many things have taken place in the last couple of years and if I don't document it, I'll forget half of what I did (if I haven't already).

Lets start from where I left off...

Frame got painted with Chassis Saver and everything was temporarily put back together to get a rolling chassis so we could move 90 miles south.
IMG_3418.JPG

Once we got settled in and figured out a way to make the garage more usable, I rebuilt the transfer case.
TC2.jpg

TC1.jpg

Blast and paint on a few odds and ends.
TC3.jpg
TC4.jpg

More to come...

SM420 rebuilt and EBI adapter plate installed.
IMG_3871.JPG

350 Chevy rebuild:
  • Block was already 0.030" over and in good shape
  • Crank turned 0.010" under
  • High volume oil pump
  • Lunati Voodoo 256/262 cam kit
  • Lifter bores grooved for better oiling during break-in
  • ARP rod studs
  • ARP flywheel bolts
  • Some sweet Mickey Thompson valve covers a buddy of mine cerakoted for me
Crank in place, ready for rod/pistons assemblies.
IMG_4277.JPG

Short block complete.
short block.jpg

Heads and valvetrain in place.
IMG_4296.JPG

The whole shebang...
IMG_0262.JPG

Next I moved onto the axle work...

I scored a pair of FJ60 axles and swapped over the knuckles, birfs and third members into my original housings.
FJ60 Axle.jpg

My original housing all painted up and ready to go in:
IMG_4532.JPG

Ready for the third member:
IMG_4535.JPG

Third member in and new knuckles installed:
IMG_4813.JPG

Final product, minus new rubber of course:
IMG_4825.JPG

More to come...

For a trail rig i would have went with the 60 axles. and a orion t-case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom